Thread: How do I repair a lacquer drip/sag?

How do I repair a lacquer drip/sag?

I have some small birdhouse ornaments I turned and I sprayed them with rattle can lacquer but got a little excited and now have a couple of spots where the lacquer has sagged or run. There are about 4 coats on already so the birdhouses are shinny and the lacquer is thick. How do I get rid of the sag? Do I sand it out or just spray more coats over it? Im not very experienced when it comes to finishes.....Thanks. Jack
    Last edited by Jack Gaskins; 05-17-2013 at 6:47 PM.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Assuming the surface is flat - use a flat sanding block and sand out the sag. If the surface isn't flat, spot sand the sag, then go over the entire surface to ensure it is at a consistent level. Then respray.

A razor knife blade can be used as a scraper... hold it at 90 degrees or so and drag it over the sag touching only the sag. It will scrape it off quickly and smoothly.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.