Thread: eboizing advantages?

eboizing advantages?

I need to make some pegs for my G&G furniture. I've been using ebony stain because I'm too cheap to pay for real ebony. Is there an advantage to ebonizing wood rather than staining it?

thanks,
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

I think that ebonizing makes it almost pure black, but a stain would only make it really dark but still show the grain.

There are a few techniques to ebonize wood. Staining is one and is perfectly legitimate. It just means blackening the wood. In fact, stain will tend to obscure the grain a little more than some other methods like dyeing, or chemical reactions in high acid woods. on an end grain plug or pin, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference. However, if you are planning to chamfer or work the plugs after insetting, then you might have to color the pins after installation (although it is possible to get color to soak fairly deeply into the end grain).

If you have a lot to do and don't want to mess with the color, I have found that ebony plugs or pen blanks won't set you back as much as you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If you have a lot to do and don't want to mess with the color, I have found that ebony plugs or pen blanks won't set you back as much as you might think.
    Yep, what Prashun said, I have purchased ebony in small pieces that are perfect for your application from Woodraft, not bad on price at all. I like to use India ink for ebonizing wood as it turns it jet black, better appearance than stain IMO.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Thanks for the information. I will check woodcraft for blanks.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.