Thread: That was a bit of a work out.

That was a bit of a work out.

Making shutters for the bedroom and need 120 shutter blades. Found it quite therapeutic to plane them all by hand. Didn't take near as long or was as hard as I expected. I didn't have a plane so I cobbled the one in the picture together - worked quite well. I had a D2 plane blade kicking around - only had to sharpen it 2 times during the planing.

Now onto the style and rails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Looks like a fun project Brian. Can't wait to see the finished shutters.

The coolest thing about purpose built tools is that once the project is done, the tools stick around and no matter how unique they may be, another use will come up.

color me impressed!

Wait a minute.That plane is big enough to hide a motor.Lets have a look.

Brian,

Welcome to the wonderfully therapeutic world of using planes. Be careful, it's a slippery slope! <g>

Keep your eyes open and you'll be surprised how often you can use a plane instead of a power tool, with the time being about equal once setup is included. There's no comparing the feeling of satisfaction the plane gives you. I also don't miss the Kleenex full of sawdust later in the day.

Watch that plane though; now that you've seen the therapy they have a way of reproducing!

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Very cool. I also would like to see more pictures of the plane.

More importantly where did you get the D2 plane blade and where can I get my hands on one? I would love to build a jack plane out of a D2 blade.

I'm curious about that table with all the adjustable stops. Can we have a picture of that?