Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaf Molding Project & Clamp

Finally Internet is better. LOL! These area few ways I attached a piece of 3/4" plywood to the Wilton and others. With the plywood it adds stability to the piece I working on. I sometimes will clamp the carving to the plywood or screw thru the plywood and into the back of carving to hold it fast to the plywood. I mounted the vise to a small piece of plywood so I can clamp the vise most anywhere.

Mark, now that you see the old hydraulic Wilton vise you know why it was only $150. LOL! It works just like a new one though.

DSCF5204.JPGDSCF5200.JPGDSCF5202.JPG
    Last edited by Roger Strautman; 06-08-2013 at 6:57 AM.
    "Always Chipping Away"

Hey, if it works it works. That's all that matters. I too was thinking of the range of projects I usually attach to my current vise. I'm planning on maybe welding up an angle bracket to attach to the post and then extending arms to fasten longer projects to it such as the longer carvings I'm currently doing. And making a smaller "platen" to attach smaller sculptures to it so I'll have interchangeable fixtures that should accommodate all carvings.
    I think having something along the lines of your large panel would be helpful as well. Sort of a carvers version of an easel. You can spin it around to any position and angle. Cool. Thanks.
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark, you are true craftsman, nice work. First time on this site was 2 days ago. Carver from way back. My first thoughts of your work " Now that's what we're talking about." Jeff

Welcome aboard Jeff! Glad to see you here. Lots of great guys lurking around the site.
    Thank you for the kind words. A carver from way back? Does that mean you stopped carving or have been carving for a while now? Either way how about showing some of your work if possible?
    The Woodworking Studio

Thanks Mark. I'm trying to figure the site out...not letting me pm and haven't figured the loading of pics yet. I've been carving since '84. I got serious in the late 90's for a bit. I picked up my knives last August after a 10 year break. I've done maybe 6 pieces since then. I carve hardwoods, mainly high relief. I'm working on a walnut relief of a temple at this time. 8/4 walnut trimmed in white oak and poplar 42"x 42" xfvb 001.jpg

Don't mean to highjack...guess the one pic worked. Here's my last project "Indian Gun" carved in 8/4 cherry, trimmed in red oak, mahogany and poplar. 56" x 19" DSC00303.jpgDSC00314.jpgDSC00263.jpgDSC00273.jpg

No need for apologies, good work is good work and I'll look at it anywhere. Terrific stuff. The temple is especially nicely done. Reliefs like that are more difficult than people realize. Gibbons did a very nice one ( of course ) that I always admired.
    Thanks for posting. I'll look forward to more of your posts of work in progress.
    The Woodworking Studio

Thanks Mark, your comments are greatly appreciated. Your website...Wow! Great body of work!

Thanks, right back at 'ya.
    The Woodworking Studio

Sorry Bud, I thought I had bumped the thread with the vise on it.But here it is. So much for my use of the phone to do this stuff.
    Here is the results of today's carving. 424 leaves or roughly 28 ft. Doesn't look like much but it's a dent in what I have to do. I told them 2 weeks and they'd have their 150 ft. This is the 3/4 molding in the first two shots
    The 3rd shot on are of the 3/8 molding I did the previous couple of days. As you might be able to see that's a penny stuck in there and it will span two of the small leaves. They're kinda small.
    And the last shot with the vise holding a stick being carved and some other 4ft. + pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio