Thread: Rough No. 2

Rough No. 2

Purchased a No. 2 today at an estate sale.
    Price $1.61 (they were charging tax; I didn't question them on this)
    Tote is a complete break but no missing fragments, rust well beyond surface, japanning total loss.
    Question: If I am thinking at all about selling it should I put it on eBay as-is?
    Have come to conclusion that I don't need to be envious of rust hunters in Ohio, Penn., Mich, etc.
    Reason - a lot of those people end up here in Florida and bring stuff with them.

No. 2 004.jpgNo. 2 001.jpgNo. 2 002.jpg

No. 2 003.jpg

Though a lot of buyers of such things would actually prefer to restore it themselves, I would actually suggest that you do a little work on it.
    Clean it up enough so that you can actually describe its condition: how deep or widespread the pitting is; or how much japanning actually remains, or even if there are flaws in the casting.
    This could be as simple as a scrub down with mineral spirits, but the potential buyer is much more likely to meet your price if he knows what he's buying. Moreover, it will look and photograph better.

Oh, in that kind of shape you over-spent. Still, I'll be kind, and send you an even $2 plus postage for it, to alleviate your embarrassment. I'm with Joe Bailey. Clean it up enough to determine that there aren't cracks, etc. This serves you another way: you will know what issues it might have before you sell it, so any marginally unethical buyer can't try to fleece you.

Thanks for your kind offer, Bill. However I think I'll decline at this time.
    I'm relieved that you two feel that way about clean-up inasmuch as I shouldn't be typing this
    with hands this red and black stained. Talk about a slippery slope; once you loosen one thing and rub
    a little at the top of the iron, the next thing you know there's stuff spread out all over the bench.
    Will post pics after triage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hutchison View Post
    Thanks for your kind offer, Bill. However I think I'll decline at this time.
    I'm relieved that you two feel that way about clean-up inasmuch as I shouldn't be typing this
    with hands this red and black stained. Talk about a slippery slope; once you loosen one thing and rub
    a little at the top of the iron, the next thing you know there's stuff spread out all over the bench.
    Will post pics after triage.
    That's what happened with a rusty #5 I had.

I suggest you get yourself a cup of coffee, cigar, and just walk away now before you take every other plane you own apart. Speaking from experience. :-\
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    That is a find to gloat over.

My suggestion, like others, is to clean it up. I would even go so far as to do some restoration, just list that if you ever try to sell it.

My suggestion then would be to give it some use and see if it has a place in your shop. The #2 is one of the least used planes in my shop, but it does get used.

One hint on use, don't try to wrap your fingers around the tote. You may find it a useful plane or you may find it is a good way to make some money for buying another tool or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is a find to gloat over.
    It also deserves a YOU SUCK!!!

CleanedUpNo.2.jpg Was a foregone conclusion really that I would attempt basic cleanup;
    hard to resist and major part of fun
    I noticed no foundry marks which is norm per B&G
    The pitting isn't as bad as feared; worst on iron where trademark is.
    To get the cap iron and iron in the body so there is normal cutter extension through mouth,
    had to put lead edge of frog a fat 1/16" back of the back of the mouth.
    This sort of lead to measurement of the iron itself which came out 5 13/16"
    Then did attempt at sandpaper strips on glass sharpening; not "scary"
    but did take some hair off my arm as well as scrapes and bruising.
    Sharpening skills not what they should be by any stretch.
    I am aware that Black Walnut is just about cheating for a test but it's better YP from Home Depot