Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wixey Digital Readout-Mini(very) review

Wixey Digital Readout-Mini(very) review

Inspired by our illustrious Jim Becker, as well as leads from that and another thread, I decided to see what all this digital readout stuff for planers is all about. There IS a practical motive to this move, as my poor old eyes are finding it harder and harder to discern between all them lines on the scale! So, last week I trotted on down to my local Woodcraft, where they had one set aside for me, and picked it up. I had checked out the Wixey site beforehand, so I already knew my planer was on "the list" of acceptable units. I also spent some time familiarizing myself with the installation procedure. Once home, it was pretty much as they say a "piece 'o cake"! Already knowing the procedure ahead of time, I also had prepped a piece of stock on the planer and got it to exactly 1/2", as told by my digital calipers. I figured, doing this ahead of time, would save some time and aggravation in the calibration and proper setup of the device. I think it did, but even without doing it, the process is pretty straightforward.

So, today I finally had a chance to take it for a real test drive on some Walnut I picked up over the weekend. In a word, "Great!!!" I'm a happy camper. When I finally got my stock down to acceptable rough thickness, before putting it away to rest a day or two, I took a caliper reading. It showed .855". Sure enough, it matched what my Wixey showed on the planer!

Cons? Two. First, the screw which attaches the readout unit to the bracket, is not of real high quality and I couldn't get a nice fit in the head (Phillips) with any of my drivers. I did manage to get it tight enough, though. Secondly, at least for myself, I will need to stock up on some SR44 batteries, because the unit does not have an auto-shutoff. You need to remember and do it after use. In other words, yours truly will be buying more batteries!

So, all in all, the unit gets a "thumbs up" from this tool junkie! IMHO, money well spent! BTW, it was $60.00 through WC, though they have it for the same price at their web site w/free shipping. So I'm impatient....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 05-17-2005 at 7:23 PM. Reason: Forgot pics!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John --
    So the readout is only in decimal inches? Maybe this is the occasion to convert entirely to decimal inches. Lee Valley sells tape measures in decimal inches.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    John --
    So the readout is only in decimal inches? Maybe this is the occasion to convert entirely to decimal inches. Lee Valley sells tape measures in decimal inches.

Jamie
    Ooooops! My bad, Jamie! I should've included those specs in the writeup! It will do decimals to .005 in., fractions to 1/32nd and metric to .1 mm. My digital hand caliper does mm and inches to decimals, so that's what I ended up gauging against. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Jamie!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Nice. I often work in decimal inches. Quite accurate. One of may favorite set up tools is a taper wedge from LV, in that format.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

John, cool tool!

I could easily live with the .005 resolution, but in fractional mode, only 1/32 res? That’s .0312 – six times worse!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the review John. I might just have to get one of those things.

As I was reading your mini-review, I was wondering about metric and I am glad to hear from the follow-up that it is supported.

Alan, the taper wedge from LV is also one of may favorite set up tools (but mine is the metric version).

<cons ?="" two="" first="" screw="" which="" attaches="" readout="" unit="" bracket="" is="" not="" real="" high="" quality="" and="" couldn't="" a="" nice="" fit="" in="" the="" head="" (phillips="" with="" any="" of="" my="" drivers="" i="" did="" manage="" to="" get="" it="" tight="" enough="" though=""><cons ?="" two="" first="" screw="" which="" attaches="" readout="" unit="" bracket="" is="" not="" real="" high="" quality="" and="" couldn't="" a="" nice="" fit="" in="" the="" head="" (phillips="" with="" any="" of="" my="" drivers="" i="" did="" manage="" to="" get="" it="" tight="" enough="" though="">"Cons? Two. First, the screw which attaches the readout unit to the bracket, is not of real high quality and I couldn't get a nice fit in the head (Phillips) with any of my drivers. I did manage to get it tight enough, though."

Ah, the opportunity to buy another tool.

I know of four different types of "+" drivers. They look nearly the same but aren't always compatable.

There is the Reed-Prince, looks just like a Philips but with a blunter tip. Not common and no identifying marks I know of.

The JIC or Japanese standard. Not sure of the difference but screws are marked with a dot in one of the wedges.

Finally, there is the Pozi-Drive. It’s screws are marked with a second set of indentations centered in the wedges.

Michael
    A tool junky in Des Moines Washington</cons></cons>
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McDuffie
    <CONS though="" enough="" tight="" it="" get="" to="" manage="" did="" i="" drivers="" my="" of="" any="" with="" (phillips="" head="" the="" in="" fit="" nice="" a="" couldn?t="" and="" quality="" high="" real="" not="" is="" bracket="" unit="" readout="" attaches="" which="" screw="" first="" two="" ?=""><CONS though="" enough="" tight="" it="" get="" to="" manage="" did="" i="" drivers="" my="" of="" any="" with="" (phillips="" head="" the="" in="" fit="" nice="" a="" couldn?t="" and="" quality="" high="" real="" not="" is="" bracket="" unit="" readout="" attaches="" which="" screw="" first="" two="" ?="">"Cons? Two. First, the screw which attaches the readout unit to the bracket, is not of real high quality and I couldn't get a nice fit in the head (Phillips) with any of my drivers. I did manage to get it tight enough, though."

Ah, the opportunity to buy another tool.

I know of four different types of "+" drivers. They look nearly the same but aren't always compatable.

There is the Reed-Prince, looks just like a Philips but with a blunter tip. Not common and no identifying marks I know of.

The JIC or Japanese standard. Not sure of the difference but screws are marked with a dot in one of the wedges.

Finally, there is the Pozi-Drive. It’s screws are marked with a second set of indentations centered in the wedges.

Michael
    A tool junky in Des Moines Washington</CONS></CONS>

4 different type??? Sheeeesh...Why don't the *all* just go to square drive and be done with it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Probably for the same reason we all don't go metric. If you figure that one out let me know will ya.

Doggone you John K. Miliunas .... you just cost me another $60 plus tax & shipping (or gas $$ to Jacksonville) !!!!

PM your credit card number to me !!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    Doggone you John K. Miliunas .... you just cost me another $60 plus tax & shipping (or gas $$ to Jacksonville) !!!!

PM your credit card number to me !!!
    You took the words right out of my mouth. That thing looks way too convenient to leave off my gotta-have list.
    Use the fence Luke

John, that's a neat little addition to your planer. Seems like a good tool to put it on.

As for batteries, why don't you set it up to run on a couple of AA or larger batteries? On a couple of D-cells is would probably run for a year without being turned off. you could even use rechargeable cells if you want.

You should be able to model the pair of button cells out of wood or plastic and add the appropriate contacts easily enough. You probably wouldn't have to modify the unit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    John, that's a neat little addition to your planer. Seems like a good tool to put it on.

As for batteries, why don't you set it up to run on a couple of AA or larger batteries? On a couple of D-cells is would probably run for a year without being turned off. you could even use rechargeable cells if you want.

You should be able to model the pair of button cells out of wood or plastic and add the appropriate contacts easily enough. You probably wouldn't have to modify the unit at all.
    Hi Dave,
    Now that may be an idea worth considering! So far, (Knock on wood) I've been remembering to turn it "off". Yeah. I know: Wonders will never cease! In the meantime, I still need to get a couple spare 44's anyway, for the digital calipers I have laying around.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

14. Wink

.... So noted, thanks John .

Ref: http://www.Wixey.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Inspired by our illustrious Jim Becker, as well as leads from that and another thread, I decided to see what all this digital readout stuff for planers is all about. There IS a practical motive to this move, as my poor old eyes are finding it harder and harder to discern between all them lines on the scale! So, last week I trotted on down to my local Woodcraft, where they had one set aside for me, and picked it up. I had checked out the Wixey site beforehand, so I already knew my planer was on "the list" of acceptable units. I also spent some time familiarizing myself with the installation procedure. Once home, it was pretty much as they say a "piece 'o cake"! Already knowing the procedure ahead of time, I also had prepped a piece of stock on the planer and got it to exactly 1/2", as told by my digital calipers. I figured, doing this ahead of time, would save some time and aggravation in the calibration and proper setup of the device. I think it did, but even without doing it, the process is pretty straightforward.

So, today I finally had a chance to take it for a real test drive on some Walnut I picked up over the weekend. In a word, "Great!!!" I'm a happy camper. When I finally got my stock down to acceptable rough thickness, before putting it away to rest a day or two, I took a caliper reading. It showed .855". Sure enough, it matched what my Wixey showed on the planer!

Cons? Two. First, the screw which attaches the readout unit to the bracket, is not of real high quality and I couldn't get a nice fit in the head (Phillips) with any of my drivers. I did manage to get it tight enough, though. Secondly, at least for myself, I will need to stock up on some SR44 batteries, because the unit does not have an auto-shutoff. You need to remember and do it after use. In other words, yours truly will be buying more batteries!

So, all in all, the unit gets a "thumbs up" from this tool junkie! IMHO, money well spent! BTW, it was $60.00 through WC, though they have it for the same price at their web site w/free shipping. So I'm impatient....
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I am still trying to get things to the closest foot
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"