Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Electrical Question...................

A Little Electrical Question...................

As I posted before I am going to have to have some new electrical in my garage shop. I have a 15 amp fuse panel now. I would like to have a new subpanel ( i guess that is what it is called) and have 2 - 20 amps breakers that I can for the shop, one for the soon to be dishwasher in the kitchen remodel and one left open for future use. Is what I am saying doable and can anyone give me an idea what something like this would cost for the installation of the new panel and at least 2 20 amp breakers if not 4 ? The panel is in the garage, it can come straight out of the panel and run straight down the wall for my outlets. I really know nothing about this and am totally ignorant when it comes to wiring.
    Thanks as usual guys.
    Corey

Having dealt with electricians alot over the past couple years...close your eyes and think of a number that you THINK it might cost....then TRIPLE it and you might be close to what the quote will come out to. Here is a partial link to a great electrical forum....always good to get as many eyes on your question as possible when it comes to real money. I think you are under estimating your future uses. I think you should plan for a 100amp sub panel, and depending on where your main service is, and how much labor is involved, plan on spending 700 and up. Sorry.....but its best to plan for the future.....add http: to the following link...
    //ths.gardenweb.com/forums/wiring/

My first question is, Do you have a friend that can help you out? This type of thing is fairly inexpensive to do yourself but can get pricey to have an electrician do it. 'Course then, there's a lot of expertise here on the Creek....A few pictures here...a few questions there...and you're done. Just keep to the codes...and I think your new panel will work fine.

...Oh...I guess Tim and I were answering at the same time.... Yeah...what Tim said!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks Tim.... you scaring me man! LOL. When you say 100 amp, you mean 5 20amp breakers? The panel is actually in the garage, just feet from the main run I want. Since I have fuses in the one panel, are breakers possible in the subpanel? I told you i don't know jack about this. My sons buddy is coming over one of these nights to look at it, he does stuff on the side and is an electrical jouneyman. I want to be half way inteligent about it, I guess I can talk tools, let him talk electrical Thanks again Tim.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Thanks Tim.... you scaring me man! LOL. When you say 100 amp, you mean 5 20amp breakers? The panel is actually in the garage, just feet from the main run I want. Since I have fuses in the one panel, are breakers possible in the subpanel? I told you i don't know jack about this. My sons buddy is coming over one of these nights to look at it, he does stuff on the side and is an electrical jouneyman. I want to be half way inteligent about it, I guess I can talk tools, let him talk electrical Thanks again Tim.

Corey
    Is the panel in your garage the main service panel to your whole house? Either way that is a good thing. I thought you might need to bring a sub panel into the garage. How many unused slots do you have in this panel? If you have a bunch, say 8 or more then you won't need to add a sub panel...you just need to add a breaker and run some wire...so if you can't find a friend , then you might be down to about 300ish to get an electrician out for a few hours. Just think about all the possible future tool uses and plan accordingly. You will need a 220c outlet for a dust collector, and another one for a jointer...and maybe 2 or 3 20 amp circuits. Keep in mind that 220 v circuits require 2 spaces on the box...might be good to take a picture and post it for us to see (everyone loves to look at pictures)

Tim, yes it is in the garage and that baby is full. No empty slots, I filled the empty ones when I finished off the basement. So I will need a sub panel anyway but don't have to go to far.
    Thanks for the info,
    Corey

Corey
    If your old panel has fuses and not breakers, how about replacing it with a larger one?

Thanks Steve, it has 12 fuses each side now and is full. Do they make a larger breaker box than that and can I do this without replacing all the wiring in the house? Even if I have to put a sub panel in, I wouldn't mind having all in breakers if it can be done without rewiring the house, I know I can't afford that right now.

Corey

If it were me, and the main panel was full, I'd run a 100-125amp breaker out of the main to a sub panel, move a couple of circuits from the main to the sub panel(remember we had to make room for the 100 amp breaker,) and then run the rest of the shop from the sub. Also, I'd go with a Square D QO sub panel. They're a little more money, but the bus bars are copper.

I wouldn't attempt this as my first electrical job without guidance from someone who could actually visit the site.

Corey, I'm a little confused. Is your main panel that feeds the house a fused panel without circuit breakers?

If so, before I would even consider adding any circuits to that panel using a sub panel. I would replace the main panel entirely. This is commonly referred to as a "heavy-up". It may also require running a new feed line from the pole to the house. The bare minimum you want to install to replace the panel would be a 200 amp main panel. This will require using an electrician, and though the cost varies from area to area, I'd expect to pay at least $1000 for this job.
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 05-18-2005 at 8:56 AM.

Thanks Steve, it has 12 fuses each side now and is full. Do they make a larger breaker box than that and can I do this without replacing all the wiring in the house? Even if I have to put a sub panel in, I wouldn't mind having all in breakers if it can be done without rewiring the house, I know I can't afford that right now.

Corey
    This does not sound good...I don't know how you wil be able to add a sub panel to an old style fuse box. Especially one that is full. I hate yo scare you corey..but you need to get an electrician out to hear what he thinks. I would bet its going to involve bring "new" service out to the garage. How old is the fuse panel and wiring in the house? I'm guessing they will want to make the exsisitng box the "sub, and wire in thw new box with 200 amp service. I just hope that you have room to do that and stay within code.

Corey,

Is your Garage attached to the house or is it separate? I'm with Steve on this...Get rid of the Fuse Panel and replace it with a breaker panel. You don't have to rewire the house to do that. You will have to kill the main power feed though. Wiring up a new panel ain't rocket science...just supply a breaker every place there's an existing fuse....match up your amp ratings. Just get a breaker panel with lots of extra spaces for your new power feeds to the shop...and then some. Then you won't need a subpanel....It'll be a nice upgrade to the house and won't cost much.

I would think your son's buddy would be able to help on this....less than an hour of his time...you do the rest.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Corey,

Is your Garage attached to the house or is it separate? I'm with Steve on this...Get rid of the Fuse Panel and replace it with a breaker panel. You don't have to rewire the house to do that. You will have to kill the main power feed though. Wiring up a new panel ain't rocket science...just supply a breaker every place there's an existing fuse....match up your amp ratings. Just get a breaker panel with lots of extra spaces for your new power feeds to the shop...and then some. Then you won't need a subpanel....It'll be a nice upgrade to the house and won't cost much.

I would think your son's buddy would be able to help on this....less than an hour of his time...you do the rest.
    While I like your idea John, and you are right it would be best to replace the exsisting fuse panel with an upgraded panel, i think this would be a job best left to a professional. Not to knock Corey, but he has told us he doesn't even know what a sub panel is, and now you think he is ready to change out a complete panel?

I vote for John's idea..but get a pro in to do it.

Yep....I agree Tim. I was just trying to think of the things that Corey could do to minimize the expense. If he did the installation of the box and then had someone move the main feeds over to the new box, he could do the transfer of wiring himself (especially if he has a journeyman there for advice). Heck, if he labeled all the existing wires with location and amp rating in advance, they could put the new box in the same location as the old fuse box. This would at least minimize the time of the electrician I think. But Corey, if you're nervous about it...that's not a good time to play with electricity...it has sharp teeth!
    ~john

OK, let me see if I can summarize the thread - Corey et al please verify my accuracy.

• Corey's service equipment (the "main panel") is in the garage.
    • It's a fuse box and is full.
    • We don't know what the service to the house is (100 amp or 200 amp).
    • Corey needs more circuits.
    • Corey hasn't done much electrical work before.

Given the above, I would:
    • Hire a licensed electrician
    • Replace the existing fuse box with a new circuit breaker panelboard that's capable of handling 200 amps. You can get up to 42 circuits in 1 panelboard.

Some general comments:
    • The current rating of a panelboard (125 amps, 250 amps, etc) refers to the total load that can be pulled through the panelboard. That's totally independent of the breakers that you put in the panel. If I add up the face value of all the breakers in our main panel + the 2 subpanels + the phase convertor, I'm way over 200 amps. The fact is that we never run all the stuff at the same time and most individual circuits aren't being loaded anywhere near their capacity.
    • Swapping the panel may mean that you need to upgrade your Grounding Electrode System. The current National Electric Code requires attachment to something like a pair of ground rods driven in or rebar tied into the foundation footing or a 20' wire buried as an electrode.
    • Swapping a panel is a job for a pro. I consider myself to more experienced than many homeowners (wired the 1000 sq ft addition to our house myself, including subpanels, etc.) and I hired a pro for our panel upgrade. There are a few reasons to hire a pro for such a job:
      • Speed - they will get it done in a day and I know it would have taken me at least twice that to do it.
      • Current code knowledge - they are much more likely to be aware of new requirements (like the Grounding Electrode system I mentioned earlier).
      • Inspections - for a panel upgrade the power company will disconnect power to your house. You want that period of time to be as short as possible (see point number 1) and you want someone dealing with all "that stuff" who has been through it before. Ditto the building inspector and you do want a permit pulled and you do want the work inspected.

Just my opinions. Rob