Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is woodworking!

Now THIS is woodworking!

I would like to do work like this some day!

http://www.nt.sakura.ne.jp/%7Egaraku...kep/indexe.htm

Scott

That is very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Ted

Really incredible to see that done with hand tools, and to think he found the lumber!
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Very instructive and wonderful woodworking technique. He has some good subtle humor, too! Thanks for sharing!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think he needs to sell some lumber to us. 1bf for cherry?

I paid $.60/a BF for mine!

I saw that he built it for SWAMBO, what does the A stand for, Always? I know the rest.
    Scott

This guy does remarkable work, and it's a kick reading his narrative. I support my WW habit as a tech writer for a software company, and I deal with several contacts in Japan, and most of them break English in much the same way. All I know is this gentleman writes much better English than I do Japanese.

- Vaughn

I think it's funny that he asked for advice at the end....Like he needs any!

Beautiful....Nice presentation too.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Fascinating and very charming. I will have to check it out several times to let it soak in, I think. I love the way his personality comes through!

Very Nice! Clearly he understands woodjoinery. No kreg pockets here.

Couple of observations. He was considering using raised panels and then opted not to. Is it me or have others noticed that the use of panel raising has gotten a bit out of control. That even the classical straight cut raised design is getting a bit over the top not to metion the multitude of curved patterns available. Seems everyone has the same shaper cutters and so hobby projects resemble furniture store items which resemble home depot kitchen cabinets. It all looks the same. This guy chose a simpler pattern not because of a lack of tooling but rather for simplicity. Simplicity which emphasizes the wood. I have had a long standing rule. I never use complex patterns for either the cope and stick mouldings nor the panel raising profiles when i am using figured woods and veneers. Its just too hard on the eyes even though most folks dont quite see why its hard on the eyes. And the shakers did away with the panel raising as well. Here, this gent is doing the same. Doesn't this look good? Very simple. Very clean. Very elegant. Notice how the larger than normal number of panels are not over-competeing for attention?

Another thing I noticed that is relativly new is the cope and stick profile. Its a simple bevel. Now when it comes down to the joints, he is using fully coped tenon cuts. This is actually correct in that no stub tenon is being used. But I just like how that simple bevel flows into the greater scheme of things. It offers just a bit of paazzzz but in no way attempts to overpower the design. It offers a simple frameing of the panel which sits flat within its grooves. Also note the size and angle of the bevel. Home Depot had some cabinet doors that were sporting a type of moulding edge bevel. This is not the same. It appears larger and more prominent. Very nicely done.

Lastly, notice his use of cross members. This works at keeping lateral migration a bit under control. Did you guys notice the use of those large prominent dovetails? Locking the joint in the direction(s) of migration. Very nicely done.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I navigated back to his home page and had a look at his other stuff also.

http://www.nt.sakura.ne.jp/~garakuta...lish/index.htm

He has a set of pages on sawing the logs using his shop bandsaw. I like the extra feeed table that sticks out the shop window for loading logs . "Sawmill is not open if it is raining or snowing"

http://www.nt.sakura.ne.jp/~garakuta...l/sawmill.html

Thanks for posting that Scott, I too like seeing how other people around the world do things.

Cheers

Ian

Another Japanese Site

Creekers,

Here's another Japanese woodworker site. I really enjoy looking at these. It gives you a different perspective.

This guy makes a lot of his own tools from stuff people are getting rid of or things he finds.

<http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/english/english.htm>
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks
    <mailto:cadman642000@yahoo.com>

Blog Entries

Need techie help here

My goodness, now that IS woodworking.

What really caught my attention in this:
    http://www.nt.sakura.ne.jp/~garakuta...lish/index.htm

is the background music (Bach and his Jesu Joy...) anyone know how to capture that for my future enjoyment?

Hi creekers. Thank you for many compliments for my shoe cabinet.

I'm glad to know some of Western woodworkers like simple design. I was afraid if the simplicity may give somewhere shabby impression.
    I like hand tools as I know I'm not good at operating power tools. and It's too powerful for me . and I cannot have enough time to understand and talk with wood. I'm a hobby woodworker and I like and enjoy the time with wood.

BTW, this forum is really great. Livery, earnet and instructive. I added this site to favorite in my browser.

Thanks for this link, it's a great and very informative site.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)