Thread: Restoration. One down, one to go.

Restoration. One down, one to go.

Like I said in yesterdays post, I bought a 20 yr old stanley that looks like a #4. Got that fettled last night. Not sure it was worth all the time required to flatten the sole and blade, but it takes decent shavings. Not as nice as my Miller Falls, but good enough for $20. Its practice and entertainment, at a minimum.

Now Im starting on the Sargent I bought at the antique store for $20. Its the same size as a Stanley #5. The cap says VBM, so it may have originally been a higher end tool. I just sanded the rust off of its aftermarket blade. Thats stamped Keen Cutter, E.C. Simmons, St Louis Mo. Now the bummer - looking at pics on the web, I think the frog is NOT Sargent. Looks more like a Union lateral adjuster. So the dealer may have cobbled this plane together from misc parts. The frog seems to fit ok, so Ill see what I can do with it. But Sam T's warning about there being an abundance of junk planes is running through my head. But Im learning what to watch for, and that too is worth a $20. Cheap lesson.

Anyone know whether that Keen Kutter is worth spending the time to sharpen? Its thick and flat. Likewise, is a Sargent frog worth buying or should I cut my losses and make due?

Ill keep you posted.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Anyone know whether that Keen Kutter is worth spending the time to sharpen? Its thick and flat. Likewise, is a Sargent frog worth buying or should I cut my losses and make due?
    The best way to find an answer is to give it a try.

I wouldn't worry about the frog unless you have problems with the current frog.

ebay is a good place to look just to find more information on what you might be seeking.

My search for a Stanley #8 frog took a while to pay off, but it was worth it.

If you are going to have an ongoing search for a frog, you will want to add things like -kermit -ribbet -Dick (apparently an artist named Dick Sargent did some covers for the Saturday evening post). The - (minus) will eliminate unwanted listings.

Have fun and remember, we all like pictures.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim!

The Sargent frog works backwards from the Stanley and Union — turning the adjuster clockwise retracts, rather than advances, the blade. I'm not sure about the kk.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    The Sargent frog works backwards from the Stanley and Union — turning the adjuster clockwise retracts, rather than advances, the blade. I'm not sure about the kk.
    Interesting that the Stanley and Union started with the adjusters that way. Stanley changed some time around 1891. Not sure when Union changed. I had a Union plane that was that way. One of my brothers has it now.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There were three Union style frogs. First two were right hand threaded, the third one was about the time of Stanley buying Union and was lefthand threads. I Have a DE6c, with a Union frogSDC12827.jpgSDC14821.jpgAs for restoring this one, well, it did take a wee bit of work to get here from thisSDC12763.jpgSDC12761.jpgSDC12762.jpgSDC12764.jpgNew base casting, new handles and a LOT of clean up...