Thread: Son's Rocking Chair

Son's Rocking Chair

My son built a rocking chair in his HS Woods II class. I am proud of him, he did an excellent job. Here are a couple of pictures during the build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a wonderful opportunity to begin a life long hobby .... and a beautiful job on the chair.

I'm impressed!

Nice job Brandon, you should be proud.…But be careful, building rocking chairs can become addictive and everyone in the family will want one (or two). If you’re into chairs, I recommend articles and books by Kerry Pierce.

Not only is the chair well done, but having a school that still teaches woodworking is a rarity.
    Encourage the son, and support the school.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Well done! A much more ambitious project than any thing made in my old shop class.

You are a proud Papa, and rightfully so. What a feeling of accomplishment he must feel.

Rick Potter

Dave, letting your child actually learn a trade is irresponsible and unAmerican. God forbid he may actually decide that he likes working with his hands.

Seriously though, he done good. I wish I could get my 14 yo to put that kind of effort into his projects. Is that level of project the norm in his class or was he a standout?

Blog Entries
    Your asking Dad? Of course he's a standout.

Thanks guys, no Johnny this level is not the norm. Brandon has been working with me for a lot of years but our HS Ind Tech program is a strong one.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bonde View Post
    I am proud of him...
    You should be. Great job! Does this mean you'll soon have to be asking him for time in the workshop at home?

Blog Entries
    I can only see one thing wrong with that chair....... It is not at my house.

Great looking wood, great style, and one GREAT chair.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Great looking chair! Glad to see that High Schools still have wood shop classes.

That is an awesome looking chair and I am sure he is as proud of it as you are of him.

That chair will be here for many many years and when he passes it on his kids, they can say "My dad made that chair"

Fantastic looking chair! He's a natural!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Great looking chair! He definitely has a lot of talent for woodworking. Our shop class way back when I was in school would have never let us build anything like that.