Thread: A brass upgrade for a #2

A brass upgrade for a #2

I purchased a Stanley #2 with a crack in the side. The crack was bad enough that I knew if it got used it would continue and eventually break. In a moment of weakness, I decided to try to weld it. And weld it I did. The weld worked to the point it would have allowed the plane to be used, but I just couldn’t get rid of the pot marks. More of the story here. wp_20130526_001_thumb.jpg

Blog Entries
    Interesting way to rehab a plane. You mentioned something about the lever cap. I am wondering if it could be from a later #3 cut down to fit a #2.

Would have to see the back side to know if that was possible. I know some of the second line planes didn't have a spring in the lever cap.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I saw the pictures, I at first thought you had cut the #2 to pieces. Ouch. Instead, I see you built a new body to support the frog, iron, and cap, along with new handles. I agree with Jim. That's an interesting rehab.

How does it cut? Are you happy with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting way to rehab a plane. You mentioned something about the lever cap. I am wondering if it could be from a later #3 cut down to fit a #2.

Would have to see the back side to know if that was possible. I know some of the second line planes didn't have a spring in the lever cap.

jtk
    I don't think the cap is cut down, but I do think its from another cheaper line. It's got a "7" stamped in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent VanFossen View Post
    When I saw the pictures, I at first thought you had cut the #2 to pieces. Ouch. Instead, I see you built a new body to support the frog, iron, and cap, along with new handles. I agree with Jim. That's an interesting rehab.

How does it cut? Are you happy with it?
    It cuts like any other #2 I have. I thought I had some shots with shavings but I'll get some when I get it back in the shop.

Blog Entries
    I don't think the cap is cut down, but I do think its from another cheaper line. It's got a "7" stamped in the back.

There were a few makers that designated planes by their length instead of using the Stanley numbering system. My recollection is both Sargent and Millers Falls did this. Also my recollection is that Sargent had numbers cast into their lever caps.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

There were a few makers that designated planes by their length instead of using the Stanley numbering system. My recollection is both Sargent and Millers Falls did this. Also my recollection is that Sargent had numbers cast into their lever caps.

jtk
    I agree, but I don't believe this is a Sargent. The single number series of Sargent's were high quality planes, which this cap didn't come off of. I believe the #7 Millers Falls all had the 2 piece caps. It could be from a later model like the MF #900, but I didn't think they made a #2 size. Its more likely an off brand like Milbro or something odd like that. It was either painted, or chrome that has been stripped, but if that's the case it was don complete enough to have not left a clue to its past. My guess would be painted. If I had a piece of brass the right size in the scrap bin, it would be a no brainer.