Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbide blade for Bandsaw

Carbide blade for Bandsaw

I ran a Lenox Tri-Master for almost 3 years. Some of you will remember that Laguna had a $75.00 sale a few years back. I bought one of those for a spare..

The Tri-Master became dull .. So I turfed it and put the Laguna blade on the saw.. About 3 weeks later.. I trashed the Laguna blade.. Destroyed it. My fault..

So I've been looking for another Carbide blade.. I'm running my spare " 3/4" bi-metal blade which has been hanging on the wall for years.. Its not as good..

A new Tri-Master is $300 shipped.. Then I noticed a Woodmaster CT .. Its about $175.00 ( I think my blade is 178" ) .. I want a 1" x 1.5 - 3 Teeth per inch ..

What are ya'll using ? Anyone used the Woodmaster CT ? What else is there ? I checked laguna .. $1.73 an inch ? I would go Tri-Master first..
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-30-2013 at 12:33 PM.

I have one Rick its a good blade when I bought my B 20/20 from Jesse I got a deal on the woodmaster blade.I like regular Olsen blades for both my bandsaws.I really think they come back from the sharpening service better than new and if I tweak one its not so bad on my wallet.
    I keep the woodmaster coiled up ready for the next red cedar build.I think mine is 177 long close to yours.

I have used the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware before. Really good blade for the money. I also found a couple of Starrett blades that just happened to be the correct length for my saw at a used tool store that were new in box. Suprisingly very sharp and clean cutting. You can purchase Starrett blade stock if you make your own, or find a sharpening service that makes bandsaw blades and ask for Starrett.

I use a trimaster most of the time. It works well is spite of losing some teeth when a tire come loose. I also have a $75 laguna as a backup.

MK

Have you considered having the Trimaster resharpened? Is it even possible? I have a MM20 bandsaw--takes a 14' blade. I loved my Trimaster until I bent it. I had it fixed but it has never been the same since. I also have a WoodmasterCT from Lenox. I didn't care for it...I thought the Trimaster cut better even after it was fixed. I also have a Lenox Diemaster2 bimetal that I also love (1/2", hook style, 6 tpi) and it cut better than the WoodmasterCT, too. If my WoodmasterCT was longer, I'd sell it to you. I dunno...some like the CT...I did not. I thought it left a very rough surface for resawing. The Trimaster and Diemaster2 left much cleaner surfaces.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I just bought a Woodmaster 1"X150 carbide for $134. Cut great resawing 8" white oak till I hit a buried 1/2" bolt. Stuff happens..........

Larry

They are both great blades. I feel like the Tri-Master maybe gives a little better surface finish on certain types of woods (and that is very subjective...) but you cannot go wrong with the Woodmaster CT.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I just bought a Woodmaster 1"X150 carbide for $134. Cut great resawing 8" white oak till I hit a buried 1/2" bolt. Stuff happens..........

Larry
    Larry,

Where did you get the blade for that price? I think I would give one a shot at that price.

James

Other than longevity, what is the advantage of a carbide BS blade over other less expensive options? I'm reading $150-$300 for one, while a very good all steel blade can be had for $40-50. or less. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesmith View Post
    Other than longevity, what is the advantage of a carbide BS blade over other less expensive options? I'm reading $150-$300 for one, while a very good all steel blade can be had for $40-50. or less. What am I missing?
    Finish quality at a much faster feed rate, particularly on hardwoods.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Have you considered having the Trimaster resharpened? Is it even possible?
    I would love to find someone who could sharpen carbide bandsaw blades. I tried to get a tri-master shapened at a local saw shop, but they wouldn't do it. Has anyone had one sharpened?

Thanks,
    Charlie

I only use my bandsaw for resawing and have used 1/2" Woodslicers that cut well but did not last long. I now have a carbide blade from Grizzly and it is lasting and cutting fine. Less than $100 for a 1/2" X 105" blade.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Wow .. just checked Grizzly .. A 180" Lenox Tri-Master 2-3 TPI .. x 1" .035.. $219.00

I got a price from Fastenal .. $269.00
    Saw Shop was $ 290.00

I really wasn't aware that Grizzly was selling Lenox ..

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kocourek View Post
    I would love to find someone who could sharpen carbide bandsaw blades. I tried to get a tri-master shapened at a local saw shop, but they wouldn't do it. Has anyone had one sharpened?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    Assuming you have a 1 inch wide, 2/3 variable pitch Trimaster, Suffolk Machinery (of Timberwolf bandsaw blades fame) will sharpen your band. I had a 143" Trimaster from my MM16 sharpened, I believe it cost all in $90 between me shipping the band to them and the cost of sharping and return shipping. The blade cuts pretty good, maybe not as aggressively as a new Trimaster, but pretty good, I am happy with the results.

FWIW, I understand Suffolk Machinery's own carbide tipped bandsaw blade was modeled after the 1" variable pitch 2/3 Trimaster, so their sharping machinery can accommodate the those blades...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Wow .. just checked Grizzly .. A 180" Lenox Tri-Master 2-3 TPI .. x 1" .035.. $219.00

I got a price from Fastenal .. $269.00
    Saw Shop was $ 290.00

I really wasn't aware that Grizzly was selling Lenox ..
    Rick, you should just buy a Woodmaster CT instead. 90% the blade for like 2/3rds the price.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA