Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wadkin PK slider table saw or Martin T17 slider ?

Wadkin PK slider table saw or Martin T17 slider ?

For those that have used both, or know about them, if you had to pick, what would you pick? Both in same good operating condition. No, I don't have/ know how to post pics. I know these machines are foreign to MOST of the crowd here, but I'll bet someone knows something.
    Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 05-30-2013 at 4:44 PM.

It's like vintage cars. Ask six different people and get six different answers and of those six, half might answer "neither". Really boils down to which the buyer likes the most and whether he would rather own an antique or a more modern, more functional machine.
    Just my 2-cents.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Zayd is the Wadkin guy here. I'm not familiar with the T17- kind of a short version of the T75 which a favorite cast iron slider. I've not used one but think the old PK with the cast iron base and the two wheels in the front is the most beautiful old saw ever made. Rare and hard to find in 230 v. Dave

To Erik, I have a mix of 100 year old cast iron machines to the brand new T75 from Martin so it has less to do with ultimate functionality as I have plenty of options in the shop. However, there is absolutely nothing as nice and smooth as an old cast iron machine, all the new stuff included. My old T75 still puts a smile on my face every time I use it. Perfect simplicity.
    Most people consider these antiques, but with riving knife in place and guards I would argue the new isn't so advanced that it makes the old obsolete. I do love SOME of the new stuff for speed and repeatability.
    I was trying to see if anyone had dual experience and their take-away on them.
    To Dave, although PK's are rare, it seems the T17 is rarer still, I only know of 2 others in the states?
    Peter

I saw you made a similar post over on the OWWM forum, and thought it may be an ok time to make my first post over here on this forum.

Aren't those two saws pretty different animals?

I am not terribly familiar with the T17, but I thought it was more of a panel sizing saw for sheet goods or smaller cabinet parts. But maybe I am mistaken. Unless I am wrong about what a T17 actually is, comparing these two saws would be like apples to oranges, or some other delicious fruit....

I know that the PK is designed solely around quickly dimensioning solid lumber, with extreme accuracy and precision. The PK is also a lot cuter than the T17, but I guess that should not be a deciding factor if you need a sliding table saw to break down sheet goods. What do you intend to use either saw for?

Kyle VanMeter

I've never seen a T17. didn't they have a bearing system unique to that saw and not duplicated on any other? As nice as the Oliver, Greenlee, Yates, Tanny short sliders were, the Wadkin was woodwroking art. Oh, can I have your shop when you are through? Dave

Kyle,
    The T17 is Martin's take on the " universal saw bench" . They are similar, but the Martin has more capacities- rips 6" thick, cross cuts about 5' and has about 59" rip capacity to the fence. Martin is belt drive, Wadkin direct drive. I have only seen my T17, but have heard of 2 others. There seems to be a bit better supply of the Wadkins tho not much.
    Peter

From what you are describing, the T17 sounds like a nice machine., but is more intended to be used with sheet stock (I assume it is equipped with a scoring blade).

I would not choose one saw over another without knowing for sure what type of work you intend to do. It sounds like the T17 may be a tad undersized for trying to produce large volumes of cabinetry, since you can not rip a full 4x8 sheet with the sliding table. But you can still get decent yield out of plywood with crosscutting first, it is just nice to be able to rip 8' with the sliding table sometimes. It may also not be the best choice for dimensioning solid lumber (compared to the Wadkin or another universal saw bench as a guideline).

If you happen to be into making segmented turnings, the PK may be the best machine ever made for such a task. Regular 45's and odd miters are a breeze with a quadrant and sliding table. You can quickly and accurately change angles with the quadrant gauge, and the smaller sliding table makes easy work of mitering a large number of pieces quickly and easily. I would also default to the PK for making picture frames, odd joinery tasks, and final sizing of solid wood parts.

I guess keep both saws if you have the room!

Kyle, I have 2 other Martins- an old 1961 T75 for general crosscut ting and ripping- I won't move the crosscut fence from 90 degrees, and a new T75 with all the motorized and digital goodies with a 12' sliding miter crosscut table -definitely more accurate flexible and quicker than any of the others including the Wadkin. I expect to use for occasional overflow cross cutting and ripping. The Wadkin is definitely easier on the eyes, but is it easier in use? That is the main question it seems.
    Peter

I use a newer Martin and SCM slider at work, and they are both nice machines to work with. I also have an Oliver 260 with a small sliding table in my home shop, which shares many features with the PK. Since I have used both types of saws quite a bit, I will tell you that the usefulness of each really depends on the kind of work you are doing.

Given your current setup, I would say a Wadkin PK would compliment your current lineup of tablesaws much better than the T17. I really like the versatility of a USB style saw for dimensioning solid wood parts. I can attest to the fact that they are very easy to use and are very practical machines for shorter parts that need to be cut precisely. There is nothing antiquated about the design of my 260 or the Wadkin PK, as they both have a riving knife, nice guard, and zero clearance insert. I also feel that the rack and pinion fence can be adjusted with greater accuracy than modern T-square or Euro style fences (albeit adjustment is slower).

I haven't seen or used a T17 slider, but after a bit of research on them, I think Kyle's assessment seems spot on. With its extended rip and crosscut capacities, I'd slot it for sheet goods work before anything else. The Wadkin PK was built specifically as a solid wood dimension saw, and one of high precision at that. It was not marketed to woodworkers, but to patternmakers and engineers. The real historian on Wadkin is a fellow named Jack Forsberg. I've corresponded with him over at the Canadian woodworking forum and he's a Wadkin nut -- not to mention his PK restoration is over the top.

I'm actually about to start a PK restoration myself. I've barely kicked the tires on the thing and am already impressed with the fit and finish of the saw -- much more so than the Oliver 270 I sold to get the PK.

By the way, Kyle -- small world. I think you bought my Oliver quadrant!
    Last edited by zayd alle; 05-30-2013 at 8:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post
    By the way, Kyle -- small world. I think you bought my Oliver quadrant!
    Zayd! A small world it is. The quadrant for my 260 worked great. I am very appreciative that you sold it to me. These sliding table saws are not nearly the machine they are capable of being without a quadrant gauge.

I would love to see some pictures of your PK. They are very slick looking machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle VanMeter View Post
    Zayd! A small world it is. The quadrant for my 260 worked great. I am very appreciative that you sold it to me. These sliding table saws are not nearly the machine they are capable of being without a quadrant gauge.

I would love to see some pictures of your PK. They are very slick looking machines.
    I hung onto hope that I'd find my 270 slider for too long, so I put that quadrant away for that day... but it wasn't meant to be. I'm just glad it went to a fellow old iron guy who will use the heck out of it!

I'll likely start a restoration thread on my local club forum -- I'll send you a link when that starts.

Go to Canadian Woodworking forum an there are quite a few fellows who are experts on Wadkins (some from UK). Jack (mentioned above) has a shop full of Wadkins (including a PK) that are just too beautiful to use for anything; he restores them like hot rod bikes, one was featured in FWW magazine I think recently.

The T17 is a joinery saw. It is basically the body of the old T75 with a optional sliding table like they used on the shapers.
    I know the quality of the T75 but have never used a PK. Just looking at pictures of the PK I like the sliding table next to the blade. There would be plus and minus to having the table away from the blade like the T17 has. I know the rip fence on the Martin is accurate and easy to use. Not sure how the center mount fence of the PK works or functions. It looks a little unhandy.

Be great to find someone with time on both saws.P_T17 a.jpgP_T17 b.jpgP_T17 P1.jpgP_T17 P2.jpg

Joe