Thread: Design questions for makeup vanity table

Design questions for makeup vanity table

My daughter has asked for a makeup vanity table as a housewarming gift. This is a picture of something that she likes which I am basing my design on.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/wd...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Idea.jpg
    And here is a screenshot of where I am at so far with my design.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/wd...tml?sort=3&o=1
    Vanity.jpg

The idea is to maintain the grain pattern across the front apron and drawers. My concern is the inherent weakness of this front apron. With a person (even though she's skinny) leaning on this thing looking at the mirror while applying copious amounts of war paint, those thin "sticks" under the drawers do not look very sturdy. I'm sure that some stress will be picked up by the top and the "box" in the middle, but it still seems rather weak to me. Has anyone else made similar furniture or do you have any ideas of how best to reinforce something like this??

Thanks,
    Doug

Well, you could make the bottom of the middle section extend throughout the piece. Maybe it is 3/4" plywood? That would stiffen up your "sticks" without adding any height.

Jamie has the right idea, if you want to stay true to the example, you could add a top rail if your anti plywood. You are correct in thinking your sketch-up plan is "light" on support across the front. Furniture must first function, then worry about how it looks.

I doubt the black vanity was built to last longer than a couple years. Over build your daughters and maybe one day it will be your grand daughters.

Be Good
    Rhett
    Nice Ash Planes

I was thinking of Jamie's idea and Rhett's together. Something like this.

This would be a more traditional way to build it. For this sketch I actually started with a Shaker table with a single drawer by Chris Becksvoort.

Last edited by Dave Richards; 05-31-2013 at 8:30 AM.