Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 14" SUV Bandsaw questions

Laguna 14" SUV Bandsaw questions

Final days on an offer from Woodcraft so I had better decide. Thought it best to get some info from you with experience with this particular bandsaw - please.

Here is the offer -
    Laguna 14" Bandsaw, 3 HP Leeson Motor LT14 SUV

Item #848258
    FREE 1" Resaw King Blade - $216 Value (848264) With Purchase of the Laguna 14" Bandsaw Now Through May 31, 2013

$1,595.00

I have researched my 14" bandsaw options pretty thoroughly and am back to spending the extra money and skip over the Rikon or the Grizzly. I really think I will get more satisfaction with this better powered saw among other things in its favor. No I cannot afford or wish to afford, or need more than the 14". Also, I am not a machine rebuilding kind of guy so don't want to risk a $ grand on a used saw. I'd rather be woodworking than fabricating or searching for replacement parts.

Having said all that here are some petty but important (to me) questions:

First off what is the verdict - can the 14" SUV handle the 1" Resaw King?

2) Am I likely to get the best deal on a new saw calling Laguna directly and asking for a package deal?

3) Is this thing shipped as one 6' tall crate or do they break it down into manageable boxes?

3a) Can it be off loaded without a tail gate lift or a forklift?

4) Is there a very good and less expensive mobile base option than the Laguna at $ 175.00?

5) Any words of encouragement? Cautionary tales?

Thanks very much for any feedback.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Hi Sam, I have just taken delivery of the LT 14 SUV and am yet to use the ResawKing blade. However, this is an entry I made on the local forum showing how the saw is delivered and what is involved in assembling it. You will need a tail gate lift or forklift. This unit is solid and heavy - 170Kg which would be over 300ib. Hope this helps some. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/ju...andsaw-171704/
    Last edited by BobW Robinson; 05-29-2013 at 8:53 PM.

I've had my LT 14 SUV for a couple years and I love it.

I unloaded it by myself.

It was loaded on my truck upright in one box.

When I got it home, I tipped it on its side, bottom towards the tailgate.

Then I slide it off the truck tipping it back upright as it came off.

Next, I slide it into my shop. I didn't have any steps.

I haven't tried a Resaw king but I think the saw has plenty of power and can handle it.

I just finished sawing up some walnut logs my neighbor had.

I was using a 1/2" bimetal blade and went through the log like butter.

The widest board was 11".

I wish your deal was available when I bought my saw.

Good luck,

Bill

Since my previous post I have looked at the 3000 Series videos on the Laguna web site. Worth a visit.

Thanks Bob, of course I can't see your photos as I am not a member of the Australian woodworkers forum but I appreciate your input. Bill, I'm thinking my brother and I will drive the 100 miles to pick one up at the nearest Woodcraft. Do you guys think I could load the saw into a pick up truck laying on its side for the trip home (good smooth, mostly highway driving) rather than standing it up in the bed? That much vertical weight seems like securing it could be a problem for such a long trip. Thanks again for your feedback.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I think that since most of the weight is at the bottm. hauling it vertical wouldn't be a problem.

If you do lay it down, I would suggest laying it with the table side up.

You may have to cut a hole in the crate to see what side is what.

Lay it on the spine, with the table removed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have a 6y/o 14SUV and have had no problems with it. Good Quality and plenty of power. I see that they have upgraded the ceramic guide adjustments and that is a much needed improvement. A brake is also needed!! Ask if you can substitute the mobility kit for the Blade. I have never used mine because a 1in blade on 14in wheels does not make good sense. The company claims you can get enough tension but search around about that size of blade on 14 wheels. But it might work ok. If you could see the mobility system you could make one if you are handy with a welder. I added the same system to my drill press and can use the "handle" for both. It is nice to be able to move the machines in a smaller shop. As for needing a forklift I unloaded and moved it around by myself but you should have a good back. It is a great saw.

Not a bandsaw expert but a 1" blade for a 14" saw isn't such a good idea: HP isn't as important as having a very stiff spine to tenstion it properly, and with such a "small" wheel you'll get a shorter life on your blade due to metal fatigue (curves are too tight for the blade).

At the risk of hijacking...

Regarding the effect of the tight wheel radius on blade life, isn't it more about blade thickness than blade width? A thinner blade bends more easily than a thicker one. So wouldn't there be a cross-over point where a thinner/wider blade would last longer on a 14" saw than a thicker/narrower blade?

Assume for the sake of argument that the spine of the saw is plenty strong enough to tension anything, as are the wheel bearings/etc. Because a wider blade would stress those aspects of the saw. That's more a question about the ability to tension the blade, not the blade life.

Curious what everyone thinks.

Sam, you can join on line. Good forums too.

Well, at long last (18 months or more) I made a decision and just bought this bandsaw minutes ago directly from Laguna with the mobility base and the 1" Resaw King. Finally woke up to the idea that I could have this delivered just down the street from my house to my friends boat yard where it can be forklifted off the common carrier and I can drive it home in 3 minutes- duh .

As for the 1" blade - the salesman repeated with great assurance what I had asked earlier - that the SUV 14" will absolutely tension properly and run this blade. He was unequivocal about it. "We have "thousands of the blades out there running on the 14" SUV with no problem - in fact that is what we use here". I guess I will no soon enough. Next Friday is delivery day .

Thank you guys for your feedback.
    WQJudge

After a couple suggestions to not get a 1" blade, why did you?
    A 14" saw will not tension one, no matter how many say it will.
    1/2" is a good size.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I had the same experience with a Laguna salesman. I don't have the 14" SUV, but he emphatically insisted that the 1" blade is best for that saw.

Myk, I wonder what you think about my previous post. Doesn't the ability to tension a blade have more to do with the strength of the frame, the wheel bearings, and the tensioning spring? And if so, isn't it possible for a 14" bandsaw to tension the blade if it's designed to withstand the forces required to do so?

I can understand the argument that smaller wheels will over-stress the blade's metal and wear it out faster, but that's a different topic than blade tension.

Congrats - it's a great saw and the best 14" out there.

Ignore people who state that it won't tension the specific "1" resaw king" simply not true- this is a custom made blade designed by Laguna - it has .024 backing vs typical .032/.035 backing of your average 1" blade allowing it to bend around a 14" wheel

In this specific setup- the typical 1/2" blade is the limit just doesn't apply, however yes, any other 14" c-arm cast iron bandsaw won't work right with this blade

No offense to anyone but you need to have hands on experience with this specific blade and saw- it is in a league of its own