Thread: Where to donate old cordless tools?

Where to donate old cordless tools?

I’m upgrading my “old” (relatively) dewalt cordless NiCd battery tools to Li ion makita. I’ve got a pretty good
    set of dewalt’s but the batteries are pretty much shot. I’m sure someone starting out would love to have them
    in spite of needing some new batteries. Any ideas on organizations I could donate them to?

To a youngster who shows interest in working with their hands!

I'll take them.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I'm at the same place, once the batteries are gone pretty much all the value is too unfortunately. The batteries for my old makita cost far more than the tools are actually worth. So if I give them to somebody, and that somebody has to replace the batteries, they may as well buy a new drill. Sort of why I did. Mine aren't quite dead yet but when they are I'm thinking batteries get recycled properly, drills go unfortunately in a dumpster. Now that I have a new makita li-on it's the first thing I reach for in most cases, the others get charged less often, used less often, seems to be accelerating their demise.

when I replaced my SCMS for a newer version the old one had plenty to give and I found that a good home where it was needed. But so far no takers on the drills.

Habitat For Humanity would be happy to take them. I just took a bunch of my "step child" tools there last month. Look for a ReStore near you. Here's a locator - http://www.habitat.org/restores?place=us

I think Lowes recycles the old batteries -- but not the tools. Probably Home Depot does also. Habitat for Humanity sounds like a great idea.

Our thrift stores have a ton of them that don't seem to ever go away. Welcome to the "No Deposit, No Return" world!

You can extend the life by having the batteries rebuilt -- still pricey, but it works. After I had the batteries rebuilt on an lder Bosch drill, the charger went dead. I bought the last charger of that model in the US. Still going several years later.