Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Countersink/Bit Brand Do You Think Is Best for the Money?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    This is the set I finally settled on. I like how the driver is always in the drill and you just remove the countersink to drive the screw.
    Attachment 263606
    And, this would be from where? Thanks.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    And, this would be from where? Thanks.
    Sorry slot going on when I posted. I got mine at tickler. It's called the jack rabbit. I have no idea why.

Norm used one like it on the New Yankee Workshop. I first used one about 2years ago and decided then I had to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Sorry slot going on when I posted. I got mine at tickler. It's called the jack rabbit. I have no idea why.

Norm used one like it on the New Yankee Workshop. I first used one about 2years ago and decided then I had to get one.
    OK, when I Google "tickler", I get powered tools, but not the kind for woodworking. Any idea the real web site address? Thanks again.

I had a set from Lee Valley and they were really good, I have also some no names that are kind of junk and just use them for junk work.
    I now have a set form Woodworker's Supply and they are great, leave no marks on the wood and are adjustable just like most of the others.
    You can buy just one or you can get the complete set, not cheap but they are the best I have ever had.

http://woodworker.com/6-original-cle...k&searchmode=2

151-337.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    OK, when I Google "tickler", I get powered tools, but not the kind for woodworking. Any idea the real web site address? Thanks again.
    Funny, you'll get similar results if you Google Jack Rabbit. Some sort of cross marketing scheme?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...3&site=ROCKLER .I saw others mentioned ones that are similiar . I have many fullers ,these are sharper and have stayed sharper .mainly though i like the shape ,i can angle them closer to the wood and get more of a pocket screw affect which can be very helpful sometimes.

I have tried a few and the Insty Bit version is great. However I think the best one I have is the Festool version, adustable for depth with a rotating collar and it is still sharp after a lot of use.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I've been using a Snappy set for probably 10 years. They use standard drill bits so I bought 10 packs of quality us-made bits for replacing the occasional broken bit (due to operator error or a knocked over drill.) I picked up the the Centrotec version recently too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Here is the link. http://www.jackrabbittool.com/ I guess rockler stopped carrying it since they have something similar in there house brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I've been using a Snappy set for probably 10 years. They use standard drill bits so I bought 10 packs of quality us-made bits for replacing the occasional broken bit (due to operator error or a knocked over drill.) I picked up the the Centrotec version recently too.
    I had an old Dewalt set from Home Depot that were awesome and seemed to last forever without getting dull. I recall paying about $25 for the 3-pack. The tips eventually snapped off accidentally after a long and useful life. I recently bought another 3-pack at HD for about the same price and they are junk. You can guess where the new ones are made.

I believe that Snappy is made in the US, so maybe they have retained the same quality.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by joseph f merz View Post
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...3&site=ROCKLER .I saw others mentioned ones that are similiar . I have many fullers ,these are sharper and have stayed sharper .mainly though i like the shape ,i can angle them closer to the wood and get more of a pocket screw affect which can be very helpful sometimes.
    This is what I mostly used my Jack Babbitt countersink for...until the clutch failed and it wouldn't stay on the driver bit anymore.

Another one for these. I am not saying they are the best but they are really good for the money and the tapered bit in my mind makes a difference. My only complaint on these is that adjusting the depth of your pilot hole is almost impossible to do accurately with this set.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10609

Mine is another vote for the Lee Valley set, with tapered bits. I've had mine for years, used them in both hardwood and nasty particle board, and they keep on ticking.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON