Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Crotch with Embellished Rim

Cherry Crotch with Embellished Rim

12" cherry crotch. The dots were done with two different size Dremel bits and blackened by dry brushing black Pearl-Ex powder into the voids. I then lightly wiped surface with a paper towel, and lightly sprayed lacquer to hold the powder in place till the
    finish was applied. Finished with two coats of oil and two coats of lacquer.
    IMG_3144.jpgIMG_3150.jpgIMG_3156.jpgIMG_3160.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I like your "giraffe bowl". Funny, in the first couple of pics, it looked about 12" or so. In the last one, it looked more like 5". Well, done!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Bob, you always find a way to turn a bowl into art. This is another beautiful example.

Great wood and great enhancement for a nicely shaped bowl.

Beautiful bowl and wood. I like the embellishment and the feathering in the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

the cherry is wonderful, the bowl a nice shape & the dots really grab the eye.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

7. That's one beautiful bowl, great embellishments and lots of fine detail and the wood is outstanding.

That's really cool.
    Stuff I've made:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/unstoppabledrew/sets/72157603258837444/

Very nice proportions Bob, I like the shape, as well as the thickness. It looks like it has some heft to it. I dig the embellishments around the rim, especially the bead just inside the lip, that's a nice touch. It's a very nice piece of cherry, someone will get the pleasure of watching that age into an even more wonderful glow.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Rick, actually the rim is undercut and the bowl is less than 3/8" thick. Thanks for the kind words. Always enjoy reading your comments and viewing your turnings.

I love it! Phil
    Philip

That looks really nice. I am not familiar with pearl-ex powder. Please enlighten me. thanks Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    That looks really nice. I am not familiar with pearl-ex powder. Please enlighten me. thanks Jared
    Jared
    Pearl-Ex is mica or dichromic powders used to give iridescent colors to a number if differ media. I've put in wax, lacquer and alcohol. it can be sprayed, brushed, dry brushed, rub and even dropped from above to create different looks. It looks like the powders that women put on their eyelids. Ladies also use it in making greeting cards and such. Google it, or watch some of a number of You Tube videos. Hope this helps.

Great piece of wood and a well turned form. I can't make up my mind on the dots though. As Michele said, they grab my eye as well. With a piece of wood with such a beautiful center... I am on the fence about them doing that.

Gorgeous Bob. The wood is incredible.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck