Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamp copyright issue

Lamp copyright issue

I built 11 lamps out of Wood magazine and I have been selling 7 of them on ebay. This guy emails me and says I have copyrighted him. He is threatening me with legal actions. What gives. How do you copyright a lamp. His is bigger, doesn't have corbels and someother differences. What would you do.

I'm no lawyer

Chris,

I think there was an article in one of the woodworking magazines less than six months ago about this. If I recall correctly, as long as yours has differences then there is no issues.
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks
    <mailto:cadman642000@yahoo.com>

Chris,

Copyright laws are very complex. However, it sounds to me that you are talking about two totally different lamps.

I would request that he send you a copy of the copyright so that you can review it and see if you feel you are infringing.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Chris,
    I am no lawyer either but it occurs to me that the copyright lies with WOOD if those are the plans you built from. I asked them a few years ago about building from their plans and selling the product and they told me that they allowed up to 25 sales without any problems. I aws building the snowman family yard ornaments and had purchased the plans from them. Good luck.

He said his lamp was copyrighted, that has to do with print. You patent a lamp. On ebay his seller name is dewy4 and mine is cdaigh if you wish to view the two lamps.

Chris,
    First, if you bought plans from Wood magazine, check their policy on selling the finished product. They probably have a copyright on the plans but not on the finished product, so you can't resell the plans but the product is yours to do with as you like.

Second, if you bought plans then you have no obligation to even respond to to the guy sending the e-mail. If the plans were free, then they are in the public domain and you still have no obligation to anyone other than the supplier of the plans.

Third, my law license expired last week. But I would not respond to the guy unless he has an actual connection to the plan supplier (like a representative of Wood magazine.)

Ray
    Semper Fi

Chris,
    I echo what Ray has stated. On top of that, a furniture patent is kind of a loose animal. My father was a furniture designer for 43 years. He had countless patents for designs, but when another designer would take one of his designs, change a small detail, it would pass as a diferent design altogether, and there wasn't anything he could do about it.
    Maurice

I looked at both listings and the differences are huge. This bozo is bluffing, in my opinion, and I personally wouldn't give him another thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Ingraham
    I looked at both listings and the differences are huge. This bozo is bluffing, in my opinion, and I personally wouldn't give him another thought.
    Hear! Hear! I agree with Jerry. No comparison between the two lamps. I think dewy4 is concerned with competition. I'd print copies of both auctions and items for future reference and forget about this guy.

Good luck with the sales - Your lamps look great.

-- Kevin

I have looked at both of them as well. Looks to me that you are selling lamps to what he feels are "his" customers.

I wouldn't worry until you get papers filed
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I too agree with Jerry. The lamps are NOT very similar really. Yours are more to my taste than his. Both lamps are very different. IMHO, yours is a better style and better priced. Dewy is up in the night on this one, just ignore him.

Ray's advice is good. Don't even respond...and I suspect that's the same advice you'd get from WOOD if they answer your similar query posted over in their forum site.

And, BTW, I believe that WOOD Magazine and Meredith Corp (the parent) limit the number of pieces you can sell from their plans. Please check on that accordingly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well lookout. It looks like this guy thinks he's copyrighted anything Mission style! I guess we'll all be receiving threatening e-mails from him soon
    Dennis

I agree with Jerry, Kevin, Jeff, and John. Your lamps are different. Just ignore the guy!

I'd probably ignore the guy.

But if you wanted to have fun send him this link and let him know that there are a few more dozen people he can pursue:

http://images.google.com/images?q=mi...s&start=0&sa=N

In fact some clever thief managed to steal his idea and create an entire web site:

http://www.lodgecraft.com/mica-lamps.htm

The audacity of these imposters.

BTW - I posted the above just for fun. I really would just ignore the guy - no need to get him riled up any more than he already is.