Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tall Walnut Vase

Tall Walnut Vase

This was an experiment turned to finish in early February from a slightly bowed piece of walnut.
    1 Tall Walnut Vase r.jpg
    At the time, I believe the sides could pass the straightedge test. I am guessing the sapwood may have shrunk a bit more than the heartwood which may account for the differing curve between the right and left sides in this view.
    2 Tall Walnut Vase r.jpg
    After bagging for a couple of months, it was wet sanded with walnut oil to 600.
    25.5” / 70 cm tall.
    3 Walnut Vase with Oil r.jpg
    Looking a little plain,
    4 Walnut Vase r.jpg
    the lady of the house couldn’t resist adding a few silk flowers.
    5 Walnut Vase with Silk Flowers r.jpg
    Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

2. Beautifully done, as always, Baxter. I like the tall form and I think you have the neck proportions about right as well. Nice touch leaving the sapwood for contrast.......makes for a lot of visual interest and the grain is nice in the heartwood .........I like the knot. You have a looker on your hands here!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice job, Baxter. Great height and width proportions. And great wood choice. What did you use to hollow this deep?

very nice, nice form, really did like the 1st photo, did not realize the size til i saw it with the chair, omg

BZ, Baxter! Phil
    Philip

BIG! and BOLD! very nice home accessory.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great tall vase, Baxter. I like seeing you step up to a vessel so large. Not many turners have that capability. Your form is sweet and any walnut lover would admire the contrasting sap and heart wood. Tell Lady of the House not to be afraid of much taller stems.
    faust

Nice vase, I think everyone likes Walnut throw in BIG and you are there!

Baxter, photographing your vase with doll house furniture doesn't fool me!

Great shape and a wonderful use of sapwood to provide visual interest. I agree with you about the shrinkage of the sapwood but I don't think it detracts from this eye catching piece of work.

My only suggestion would be to rough turn to approximate size, bag it for a couple of months and then finish turn to let it equilibrate. After removing a lot of material the newly exposed wood needs time to get used to its new environment.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Beautiful vase. Great contrast and shape. Gotta say the flowers are even more spectacular. Thanks for sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

11. Great looking vase, I love the contrast and size makes it impressive and an outstanding accessory for the house.

Baxter,
    I like all the things you do, but this one is great, I better not let my better half see it or she will wnat me to make one.
    Rex

Beautiful, Baxter.. Nice shot with the empty chair. Did you notice how the flowers brightened the picture?..... I'm with Eric on what did you use to get it so deep, and how did you support it in removing the tenon? Or did you use a recess instead? ........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Holy Giant Walnut Vase Batman! That is a nice piece Baxter and a perfect place to display it as well!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Totally awesome! is the thought that came to my mind. That's a spectacular piece Baxter!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein