Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hall Table

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Nice work!

Are the two dark areas around the big knots filled? What did you fill with and did it shrink any after finishing? I have used tinted epoxy like this. But after about a month it shrank some ...
    These voids were filled with System Three MirrorCoat epoxy. This epoxy marketed as a "bar top finish" and is formulated to have a very long working time once mixed. This is so it will have time to completely level itself when poured on a large surface (like a bar top). This property was great for this application, because there was a network of voids in the wood, and the epoxy was able to seep through and saturate the inards of the slab which enhanced the structural integrity.

I masked checks, knots, etc. on the bottom surface and then poured MirrorCoat into the major voids on the top surface until they were filled. I thought I was done, but when I looked 15 minutes later, the voids were half empty. I had to add epoxy several more times over the course of the next couple of hours. This epoxy takes a good 24 hours to cure and I found that even longer is better before using a cabinet scraper or sandpaper. The table is a few years old now and there has been no shrinkage or other issues.

Very nice table. You did a great job!
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.