Thread: Anyone know anything about this miter saw?

Anyone know anything about this miter saw?

I can pick this up at a very reasonable price.
    The seller doesn't know the maker or model.
    Anyone know if this is worth looking at or should be avoided?

Thanks.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Looks like a nobex miter box. I personally would get a vintage because they're probably the same price and the vintage boxes are much more solid. Not that you can't use a nobex, it's more a matter of getting something stronger for the same money.

It's not an exact match but it sure looks close:

http://www.sears.com/c-r-laurence-cr...6&blockType=G6

No, I don't know how good it is.

-Tom Stenzel

I cant be sure, but it looks a lot like one I bought a few years ago. Mine works well enough that I continue to use it.
    Fred

These cut well, if you clamp the work to the casting.

A light touch, to get the best results.
    As with most saws, if you're forcing it downward - the blade likely needs a sharpening.

Blog Entries
    Highland Woodworking carries the Nobex saws. The model 110 is very similar. The 110 sells at Highland for about $55. I picked one up at a sale for about $25. My Miller Falls/ Langdon 74C is a far better tool. I found a deal on my saw at auction paying about the list cost of a 110. After a clean up and fresh coat of paint I have a very precise and fast cutting "machine".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1689105...n/photostream/

Went by to look at it yesterday afternoon. Even at $25 I passed. It wouldn't lock down tight so the carrier for the saw wiggled a bit and it didn't cut a good 90 degrees.

So it goes. The hunt continues.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I cant be sure, but it looks a lot like one I bought a few years ago. Mine works well enough that I continue to use it.
    Fred
    Anybody looking for the ultimate, new miter box should take a look here, these also occasionally come up on EBay in their vintage iteration and make Langdons look like an 'also ran.'

http://www.pecktool.com/index.php?ma...p00edk8v97q2f0

If you want to see what a vintage one looks like there's a picture of one in Joyce's Encyclopedia. Nothing quite like it.

I've got an Ulmia like that! Mine is the somewhat smaller 352 model, the 354 is very big. Overhere the Ulmia is the only chance to find a secondhand miterbox. Things like that Langdon or the Stanleys are never available. You'll find something about mine with a short youtube vid on my blog:
    http://seekelot.blogspot.nl/2013/05/...er-saw_18.html

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I've got an Ulmia like that! Mine is the somewhat smaller 352 model, the 354 is very big. Overhere the Ulmia is the only chance to find a secondhand miterbox. Things like that Langdon or the Stanleys are never available. You'll find something about mine with a short youtube vid on my blog:
    http://seekelot.blogspot.nl/2013/05/...er-saw_18.html
    You gotta good 'un. With Ulmias right in your backyard you certainly shouldn't worry yourself looking for Stanleys and Langdons.
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 06-06-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Found this Ulmia 352 essentially unused (from the 1970's or 80's) from ebay for $124. Going to build a stand for it soon.

Yes, the cut-offs are out of control! I'll probably find every clamp I've ever lost at the bottom of that pile!

Cliff,

Years ago I used to get a catalog called AMT (American Machine & Tool Co.). They had relatively low-cost tools and I bought a few of them. One of them was a miter saw that looked extremely similar to the one in your pic. I still have it and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post
    Yes, the cut-offs are out of control! I'll probably find every clamp I've ever lost at the bottom of that pile!
    Chillax, PP - that's what a working shop should be, an orderly shambles.
    When you've got 13 hammers, and a single pathway through your basement, then you've got a problem.