Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finishing Oak Dining Room Table

Oh no, don't use ammonia - that stuff is deadly on many finishes. If you want to remove the wax uses mineral spirits. Wax offers no real benefit as far as water protection goes. It does give a nice silky feel but, as you've found, it smudges easily.

John

So you think I'd be ok to take it back out to the garage, clean it thoroughly with mineral spirits, and give it a few more coats of the waterlox OSF followed by a coat of waterlox satin? I'm worried about adhesion issues from having that wax on there, but I guess if I can get it cleaned off well enough...

Why do you want to put more coats on it? Didn't you say you've put 8 or 12 on it already? I don't see the need, but if that's what you want to do just wipe it MS or, better yet, Naptha several times. Then wipe it one last time using a fresh piece of paper towel for each pass over the top. Then scuff sand it with 320 grit and apply however many more coats you want. If you want a satin look, I would just rub what you have now with 0000 steel wool, or the equivalent synthetic pad.

John

You might consider looking through the info on the Waterlox web site. Great info on application.

I want to add more because it seems as if I applied the paste wax too soon (7 days) and the finish seems to be scratching really easily. I put 8 coats on. It is still pretty shiny - going to wait a bit to see if the glossiness mellows enough for me before I decide to add a few coats of satin.

Thanks again,
    -Jeff

I thought I'd followed it pretty well, but not happy with how it's wearing after a couple days of use. As I mentioned in my last reply, I think I waxed it too soon

This was a great resource to follow - http://www.waterlox.com/uploads/docs...9121325461.pdf

I believe Waterlox will get less glossy the more it cures; certainly it WILL get hard and more scratch resistant. I suggest you wait a month before deciding whether or not to add more coats. And, as I mentioned, if you want a satin finish rub it with 0000 steel wool.

John