Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honduras Mahogany: worth getting and using for an entry door?

African can be reddis pink too. Hondo can be anything from deep dard red- usually the board is dense and heavy- to light pink to orange. Lots of variation. Importers and suppliers also tended to mix a little so a big batch could have more than one type in it. If it looks like the real deal, take it and find a way to store it. I've got a bunch of Brazilian stored with a friend in North Carolina and wish I could store some of yours in Wisconsin. The older stuff could well be superior to what has been imported since the restrictions. Dave

mreza,

I agree with the consensus opinion -- if this is indeed Genuine Mahogany, and if it's nice looking, get all you can even in excess of your present project. For my money, it's the best all-around furniture wood and also has outstanding outdoor capabilities.

Exterior doors, though, often have a tough time of it, with weather and sunlight potentially playing havoc with the joinery and finish unless they have some protection against the elements.

Well today I rented a trailer (smaller than what I had booked as they had given away what I had booked even though had a confirmation ) anyway drove the 1 hour to get the lumber. It didn't help that it was raining heavily. It seems to me it's the real deal (Honduras Mahogany). I got all the 8/4 that was left (over 300bf) and whatever of 4/4 that I could put. I think I overloaded the trailer (blew a tire too...). I'm sad that I couldn't take all of 4/4. Some of the boards are 14" wide but most are in the range of 8-10".

p1.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpg

Here are is a sample board that I planed a bit, can somebody confirm that it is indeed Honduras? It smells and looks like it...

p7.jpgp6.jpg

Sure looks it from here.

Sure looks like it to me. I was fortunate like yourself a few years back to buy some bulk Honduran for a former furniture makers son who had kept it for years thinking he would do something with it. he was about to make a move and did not want to take with him.

Jim

Congrats, looks like the real deal to me. I smell a beautiful entryway. Enjoy.

Thanks for confirmation. My back hurts after moving these boards. Wide ones are really heavy...

Nice!

Yes, you have the real deal there. That's a beautiful load of lumber.
    Mahogany makes great exterior doors. Teak, Koa and Mahogany are the wood choices of boat builders. It can take the elements, properly finished.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

hi:

We have a lot of real honduran mahogany in this house from work done here in about 1992/93 (Well before we owned the place). Its distinguishing characteristic is that it takes on a deep lustrous red color when polished. I get much the same color from jatoba with light oil (so called "brazilian rosewood" oil, but really the rosewood part is imaginary). If the stuff you're looking at is real, the price makes it a total steal. Buy it, dry it. and resell what you don't need at a profit.