Thread: What thickness ply should I use for book case backs?

What thickness ply should I use for book case backs?

I just built some shelves and used 1/4" and didn't like it. I was painted so it wasn't a big deal aesthetically. I'm thinking 1/2" would be better. I have a larger book shelf install coming up. These will be stained. The 1/4" didn't have very nice faces. What do you guys recommend for a built in bookcase back?

Actually, I dot even know yet if he wants them built in or free standing. Would that hangs the back design at all. I wouldn't think so.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    I just built some shelves and used 1/4" and didn't like it. I was painted so it wasn't a big deal aesthetically. I'm thinking 1/2" would be better. I have a larger book shelf install coming up. These will be stained. The 1/4" didn't have very nice faces. What do you guys recommend for a built in bookcase back?

Actually, I dot even know yet if he wants them built in or free standing. Would that hangs the back design at all. I wouldn't think so.
    If you read what you said literally, "I just built some shelves and used 1/4" and didn't like it.", I wouldn't like it either - but you meant you used it for the back.

With that worked out, I would venture to say, most free standing book cases use 1/4" ply for their backs. Why would you like 1/2" better?

Some people don't even put backs on built-in cases.

Besides not liking it because you are staining it, and it doesn't have good faces (sounds like a selection issue), what don't you like about it? 1/4" is perfectly capable of supporting even a free standing bookcase for all intensive purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post

If you read what you said literally, "I just built some shelves and used 1/4" and didn't like it.", I wouldn't like it either - but you meant you used it for the back.

With that worked out, I would venture to say, most free standing book cases use 1/4" ply for their backs. Why would you like 1/2" better?

Some people don't even put backs on built-in cases.

Besides not liking it because you are staining it, and it doesn't have good faces (sounds like a selection issue), what don't you like about it? 1/4" is perfectly capable of supporting even a free standing bookcase for all intensive purposes.
    Lol!!! Yeah, my prior client wanted smiley shaped shelves. Ha! I used 2"x12"s as face frames. He couldn't access the shelves. LOL!!!

I know 1/4" is quite strong for squaring up and eliminating racking. I used 1/4" pegboard to sure up my assembly table/workbench. I didn't even glue it. I just brad nailed it. It doesn't rack at all now.

The last shelves I made were for a retail type environment with large glass windows in which potential customers (of the retail space, and mine I guess too, right?) could possibly see the ugly back. Like I said, it was painted white and ended up looking just fine. Along the way I feared what the end result would look like.

Now that I may be staining 1/4", IF he wants a back, like you mentioned. If its built in the added support comes from the wall studs. 1/2" would be way overkill I guess, right? If he doesn't wan them built in I guess it doesn't matter if the back side is ugly, since their up against walls.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

In my defense, I did say the back in the subject of the OP...
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

1/4" is fine, because the object of the back is to square up the case and shelves.

If it is a question of appearance, you can get very nice 1/4", if you go to the right sources. Don't think, though, that I recall 1/4" A1. More likely A2 or A3.

3/4" is available as A1. I have used that for the case work, since both sides will be seen.

If it will be against a wall, you don't care what the back side looks like.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

For visible cabinet backs like in built-ins and glass door cabinets, I use 1/4 MDF core. This is the type of material used in flat panel doors so one side is "show" but both sides are A grade veneer with no defects.

Usually any 1/4 hardwood face ply will have one nice side. Its when you get into the standard sheet goods for basic cabinetry that you run into crap veneer.
    Nice Ash Planes

The built-ins I just completed are 1/2" backs. I usually use 1/4", but these cases were very large, plus a gloss finish. I wanted a material that didn't appear "wavy" the way 1/4" can appear on a wide span.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.