Thread: Nova DVR XP remote help

Nova DVR XP remote help

I installed my remote and retrofit system yesterday and it's not working. I have re-installed it according to the directions, including pushing the "sync" button (if you have installed one, you'll know that the written instructions have omitted this step). The lathe works fine when I use the console on the lathe, but the remote doesn't do anything. Assuming that I installed it correctly and that I didn't booger up any of the connections, any other suggestions? I have a call in to tech support.

I think the battery in the remote/watch is ok. When I push a button on the remote, the red light illuminates for about 1-2 seconds. Is that right?

If anybody else has had to troubleshoot a similar problem, I would appreciate your insight.

First thing I'd check.... Are you pressing the remote button in for 2 seconds to start the lathe? You might not be pressing the button for long enough.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Alan,
    Yes, I've tried holding the button for a long time, short time and in between.

I'd just make sure that all the circuit boards and ribbon cables are connected securely... and then give Nova support a phone call.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Like Alan said, be sure to hold the button down for a couple of seconds. The instructions were supposedly rewritten recently. The originals were worse than those supplied by MS ;-)

Eric, did you only press the sync button once? I think I had to press mine 5 or 6 times before it connected with the wrist unit. If I remember correctly (which is anyone's guess), the wrist unit lit up when they synced.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried all of these things and still no connection. I have a call in to technical assistance. I'll let you know what I find out.

Remote board install tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. I tried all of these things and still no connection. I have a call in to technical assistance. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Just installed this and it works fine but I got some tips from Mike at Nova tech support. He also sent an image that is clearer than the illustrations in the instructions. I've thrown in some of my own observations as well.

I feel safer having a kill switch at the tail stock!

Don't remove the mounting screws completely. Just back off enough to remove the panel. This makes reassembly much easier.

Try as much as possible to grip the connector rather than the wire when disconnecting. Also you may have to cut off some hot glue and between the ribbon wire connector housing and the pin housing. This must be done with care.

Pay attention to the red wire on the wire ribbons. Orientation must be correct.

Be sure all of the pins line up correctly with the connectors. It's easy to shift right or left and leave pins unconnected.

The white button on the daughter board must be pushed while the power is on. He told me there is very little power at the switch so it's safe. As noted this crucial step is for some unfathomable reason omitted from the instructions. This step syncs up the boards.

It can take several attempts to get the boards to recognize each other (pressing the white button). I tried four times but also realized that in twisting the unit around one of the cables worked itself loose. Everything must be tight.

Test the remote before reassembly. Two seconds (on the button icon - not the NOVA label).

The extra space taken up with the new board makes everything tight when replacing the panel. Be aware of the wires and let them fold into place. You have to use some pressure but don't use brute force.

I hope this helps anyone struggling with this very nice to have upgrade!

Richard

RemoteInstall.jpg
    RD