Thread: Grounding spike. Necessary in the US?

Grounding spike. Necessary in the US?

I got a Shenhui 360 and it comes with the grounding wire (no spike). My shop is fully grounded at the outlet. Do I need to use this wire as well?

I imagine a few people out there aren't drilling holes in their concrete shop floors for a grounding spike. If it's required, I was just going to ground it to the air compressor distribution system... a few hundred feet of iron ending at a 80 gallon compressor.

thoughts?

most grounding rod are steel with a copper-coating, I not sure that steel pipe will be permitted as a outside ground due to the rust

You should already have a ground rod at the service entrance at the whole system grounds through. Your outlet SHOULD have a ground that will ground the laser through it. You should make sure that the ground is there. Older houses did not have grounded outlets and didn't have a ground wire either as they only used 2 wires. Having an outlet with the ground DOES NOT mean you have an actual ground circuit, you could just have the receptacle with 3 openings but not actually have a ground wire.
    You can get a tester that will check or remove receptacle and make sure it has 3 wires, typically one white (neutral), one black (hot) and bare copper that will be attached to the metal part of the receptacle which is the ground.
    There isn't a need to ground the laser to it's own ground rod.

Nope, use the proper ground at your distribution point! The ground you have is going to be way better than any crazy spike provided by the Chinese! I can't understand why the still provide these to US and European customers how all have proper earthed electrical connection points already!

IF you installed the Ground spike into the ground rather than bonding it to your Electrical Ground you run the risk of a thing called Ground Loop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

Like posted above, your Electrical System Ground goes back to your first power panel and meter ground.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".