Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needing to buy my first CNC router...suggestions

1. Hey Curtis - Welcome to the CNC world. Not sure I can give you good advice on which machine, but you are right on when you say you will need to come up with a good vacuum hold down. For me, the trickiest part of CNC work is figuring out how to hold the pieces and if you don't want any or only minimal post processing make sure you have that worked out. When there is nothing supporting the piece for the last portion of the cuts, it can be challenging to keep it from moving. Personally I would build and test the vacuum table before pulling the trigger. Good luck.

Yes, lots of money. I am over 5k in mine right now and already looking for money to go bigger and better. There is just so much that a cnc can do, I would never give mine up.

If you get this one I hope you post the setup on it. I looked it up and am interested in trying one of their kits

you can use tabs or a downshear bit to stop part movement. I would think long and hard about a 4x8 platform...I bet within 3 months you will wish you went bigger...
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Thanks again for the feedback, folks! I will be placing my order today or tomorrow for a CRP4848! I don't think I will have a need for a 4x8 since I work almost exclusively with acrylic and handing a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" is a bear by yourself! My supplier cuts them in half for me at no charge. I figure if I do ever decide I want or need a 4x8, I will sell this one and move up!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis O. Seebeck View Post
    Thanks again for the feedback, folks! I will be placing my order today or tomorrow for a CRP4848! I don't think I will have a need for a 4x8 since I work almost exclusively with acrylic and handing a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" is a bear by yourself! My supplier cuts them in half for me at no charge. I figure if I do ever decide I want or need a 4x8, I will sell this one and move up!
    For acrylic you will want a real stiff z axis. I cut 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch acrylic and it can be a real pain when the bit starts to chatter.

Curtis, have you considered a laser instead of a CNC? You mentioned the final part size is 5" x5" so even a small laser would work. I have a Hurricane 60 watt 16" x 20" laser and I have cut up to 3/8" acrylic with it. It will cut 1/2" but I haven't tried it yet. Makes perfect straight lines that are ready for gluing right out of the laser. I currently buy full size acrylic sheets and then rough cut them with my saber saw to fit in the laser. $5k is a little low for a brand new machine like the one I have, but you may find a used smaller machine in that size or you can import a machine directly from China and maybe get something that would work for the $5k range. I have a CNC and the Laser and I can tell you the laser is way easier to use than the CNC and is a lot faster. And you don't have to worry about clamping the material down or vacuum pumps. You just set it on the work surface and press start. The laser never touches it so it doesn't move.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

I have a Shopbot that I cut acrylic with you may be able to find a used one on the shopbot forum. You could post on there to see one in action and also loooking for a used tool