Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing to buy my first CNC router...suggestions

Needing to buy my first CNC router...suggestions

Hello folks!

I manufacture vacuum chambers out of acrylic. Currently, I am cutting the parts on my tablesaw oversized, then running them through my router table to clean up the edges for solvent welding. I use both 3/8" and 1/2" cast acrylic. Cutting parts and then running 4 edges x 5 pieces per chamber on the router is a bit tedious and time consuming to say the least. I need to up my production and believe a CNC router would do that as well as provide better precision.

I would like to go with a 4x4 router so that I can throw 1/2 sheet of acrylic on the machine and let it run. Unfortunately, I do not have a big budget and really need to keep it at $5k or less. I could go smaller if I need to. I spoke with the owner at Probotix yesterday and am interested in their Fireball Meteor which is not as large as I would like at 25"x50" but it looks like a good machine for the money. I have also looked at the Stinger as well as some others but they are out of my price range at the moment. I ABSOLUTELY can not go over $5k, I just don't have the money and refuse to go into debt!

I have done a lot of reading here and all over the net so I am quite familiar with CNC and how it all works and already know CAD software in various different forms so no learning curve there. I am also very computer literate and can already think in 3d space (I was a builder for 15 years and designed all of the homes I built).

After doing a lot of reading, I am now looking at a complete kit from CNCRouterparts.com. I am very good a building things so it might fit the bill and certainly fits the budget. My issue is, I am way backlogged on the chambers I build and can not devote hundreds of hours to building a machine. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to build one of their machines? Are their kits made such that it is relatively easy to assemble them with accuracy? Any other things I should consider before taking the plunge to possibly build my own?

If you do not recommend building my own due to time issues, what do you think about the Fireball Meteor?

Do you see that I will have any issues with cutting the parts I need to cut? Most are 5"x5" or thereabouts but always rectangular. I can't sit there and do one part at a time, though. I really need to be able to created an optimized layout and have the machine cut them all out. I am aware that it will need to be done in multiple passes with a clean up pass. I am also aware that I will need to come up with a vacuum hold down of some sort. I have that solved in my head already since I work with vacuum every day!

Anything else I am missing or not thinking of that will make this less efficient time wise than I think it will be? I sell my chambers at cost (includes my labor to cut and build) so this has to increase productivity for it to be worthwhile.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have, including other machines to consider. Again, I need something that is accurate without too much assembly time and tinkering time and need to be at $5k or less.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

I picked up a ShapeOko, a hobby-level CNC kit at the beginning of the year and have now gotten it upgraded to where I want it to be.

Uses Makerslide, so it's a fast build: shapeoko.com/wiki

No matter how much you have read about cnc and your cad experience there will be a learning curve especially with what you want to cut. Don't expect to be in production as soon as you get a machine. Have you considered a used machine. Take a look on the bot, cnc zone, vectric and 3d sign forums for info on cutting acrylic. I bought a used 48x96 pr machine (shopbot) for $3500, it's old but amazingly accurate.
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Yes, I have been keeping my eye on Craigslist all over Texas and have not seen anything in my budget. I am not at all opposed to used. I do realize there will be a significant learning curve to get the parts I want but at least I am a little further down the curve due to my CAD experience!

Speaking of CNCZone...I have tried going there but for some reason, their GUI is messed up for me. All I get is a text page with links to threads but they are all in text. I remember going there in the past and if I recall correctly, they were running VBulletin. There is not sign of Vbulletin or any other forum structure for me. Anyone else having the same problem?
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

I built the mechanics of a 4X4 cncrp 48X48 and it was jogging in 9 hours. Base was done and controller was done ahead of time. A gecko G540 will smoke any probotix controller. Ahrens setup is super nice for a DIY. The R&P on X and Y is super fast.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    The R&P on X and Y is super fast.
    Please excuse my ignorance but what does the above mean? I haven't quite learned all the language yet! I know x and y, just don't know what R&P is!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Rack and Pinion. How good does the edges need to be. If you need a polished edge you will still need to do some hand work. There is a polisher bit that Onsrud makes but it is about $1500.00 so it would be out of your price range
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 06-09-2013 at 7:52 AM.

Have you planned on what software you will need? If you buy the basic CNC router, expect to pay another 50% for other items such as bits, dust collection, clamps, collets, holddown, practice material, and CAD/CAM software. If you buy used, expect some repair expenses in the near future. You will need some kind of tech support whether it be a forum or a vendor. I'm pretty savvy at mechanics, electrical, and 3D software but it was a bigger learning curve than I expected. Almost all of my spare time in the last year has gone to learning, cutting, and building out my infrastructure for my startup side business.

It sounds like you are pretty busy. If you really are just looking at making a few parts I would just find another CNC person and outsource it. At least start out this way and then figure if the cost is worth it. You won't save money for quite a while, if ever, doing it yourself for just a few parts. You will learn enough from the outsourcing, pricing, and seeing the results to give you a better idea if it is worth doing yourself.
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    One option you don't see much here is CNC-STEP machines with Kress router motors. Not sure if they have the size you want, but German-made, basically turnkey, and solid.

http://www.cnc-step.de/ (It's in English)
    Last edited by Frank Trinkle; 06-09-2013 at 9:32 AM.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

The parts in question sound simple enough to hand-code in G-code. Use NC Corrector to preview / edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Fennessey View Post
    Have you planned on what software you will need? If you buy the basic CNC router, expect to pay another 50% for other items such as bits, dust collection, clamps, collets, holddown, practice material, and CAD/CAM software. If you buy used, expect some repair expenses in the near future. You will need some kind of tech support whether it be a forum or a vendor. I'm pretty savvy at mechanics, electrical, and 3D software but it was a bigger learning curve than I expected. Almost all of my spare time in the last year has gone to learning, cutting, and building out my infrastructure for my startup side business.

It sounds like you are pretty busy. If you really are just looking at making a few parts I would just find another CNC person and outsource it. At least start out this way and then figure if the cost is worth it. You won't save money for quite a while, if ever, doing it yourself for just a few parts. You will learn enough from the outsourcing, pricing, and seeing the results to give you a better idea if it is worth doing yourself.
    I already have a full cabinet shop with most of what you mention except the machine and software. I have a clearvue cyclone system and am already running very high quality end mills in my router table. I need to make a lot more than a few parts, thankfully! I have a current need to run 500 or so parts! I have been outsourcing some of it over the past year and while the quality is fine, I need more control of the timing. I absolutely hate depending on someone else and waiting on their schedule. I also have other uses for it as well.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Rack and Pinion. How good does the edges need to be. If you need a polished edge you will still need to do some hand work. There is a polisher bit that Onsrud makes but it is about $1500.00 so it would be out of your price range
    Thanks for the clarification on R&P! The edges need to be smooth and square in all directions. They do not need to be polished but I can't have ridges or saw blade marks like i get off the saw currently. I am currently getting good results with a Southeast Tools o flute spiral in my router table, it is just to time consuming.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

You have a very specific budget so, I'd go slow and research everything. Know what kind of software they use, do they come with the design software included in the price, the warranty, research reviews, what speeds will they cut at, are you going to be confined to a palm router or will it handle a full sized router or spindle, how sturdy is the frame, what materials are used, what components, can you upgrade it later? Yes, $5000 is cheap for a CNC but that doesn't mean it is not a big hit to your pocket book.

I knew nothing about CNC routers and jumped in with a shark. It was around $3500 but did come with vcarve pro, then I bought a probe, 3D cut software, dust boot, touch plate, router, bits, clamps, etc. and I was getting close to that $5000 mark. It is good for what it is, I'm just a hobbyist but I'm already outgrowing it (atleast in my mind). The table isn't large enough..I want a 4X8. It isn't rigid enough, it is too slow, etc. I wish that I had known then what I know now and I would have waited until I could buy the Stinger. Now, I am going to eventually build my own 4X8 or catch a shopbot or stinger used. They have a section at the shopbot site for used ones but they go fast.

I don't know anything about the fireball but you aren't getting any positive responses from their users here so that would make me leery of them. There is so much that you can do with a cnc other than what you are looking to buy one for, don't get short sighted and get one that will just get the job done for you because you will probably find more uses.

Good luck.

I bought a Camaster Stinger last January. Yes, they cost more than the average entry level CNC but they are built like a tank and will run all day, everyday. They have great customer service and a forum with members that will walk you through any problems or questions you might have.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the replies thus far everyone! I am now leaning heavily towards a CNC Router Parts CRP4848. I have all the kits in my cart and spoke to them today to get a quote on the software. I just need to get up the courage to pull the trigger! Lots of money to spend for sure!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?