Thread: Looking for some Advice

Looking for some Advice

Greetings All,
    Here is the short Story: I have been asked if I can engrave ceramic tiles. Replied do not know have not tried. I was given a 12x12" tile to do initial test on. Results where a dulling and browning of the mustard yellow glaze. I have a can of Ceramark on the way to try out. The tiles are going in a high school gym foyer. All artwork is supposed to be already set up all I should have to do is size it to the tile and them print it. Can anyone give suggests about how much I should charge for the job. If I go with an estimated 200square feet @ $50 or $60 a tile that ends up to being about $10,000 or $12,000. If I can get this job it would pay for my machine.

A few issues;
    Already have a full time job
    Takes about an hour to burn tile
    Not set up has a business I am doing things has a hobby (collecting donations for my time)

Any suggestions, issues advice would be great.

Thank you,
    Nathan
    Retired Veteran

After Ten years of making things, never would have known how much it got in my Blood. Till I could cannot make things any more.

-Me

Nathan;
    Just offhand:
    1. At $60 per tile you are getting $1 per minute for laser time-that's pretty bare bones minimum.
    2. Not sure about the durability of cermark on floor tiles due to traffic, buffing, cleaning.
    3. Cermark is not inexpensive-figure 10 tiles per can so you need 20 cans minimum.
    4. What is your delivery timeframe? 200 laser hours is probably minimum of 300 manhours to change art,tile,clean,pack, etc.
    5. Assuming they make up a large design, tiles will have to be numbered and artwork carefully aligned
    Good Luck
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

I see sooooo many issues here.

1 If the laser etch is not filled completely and sealed it will collect all sorts of dirt and grime.

2 If someone on their side is doing they layout, be careful. I have seen this tooo many times
    that someone without commercial level graphic experience think they can do a jo such as this.
    They usually can't.

3 this a BIG job, any miscalculation on time, process etc can really hurt.

Have you talked of other processes?

Dye Sublimation, sand etch, etc

Check these guys out;

http://www.enduring-images.com/custo...ral/?nggpage=2

http://www.lasertile.com/category/laser-tile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usOEApAJdYg (these guys are no longer in business, you may find somewith a system to contract the work out.)
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    3. Cermark is not inexpensive-figure 10 tiles per can so you need 20 cans minimum.
    For this size of a job I would never consider using spray cans, I would buy bulk and us a paint sprayer. You could do the entire job with a single, 250g tub at about $150, and have enough left over to do several thousand dollars more of marking.

I have a concern about wear on this job. My inclination would be sandblasting.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree with most saying Cermark isn't the right process. I can't imagine it lasting in a school foyer.

I think you either need to change materials (granite might be an option) or go to a mechanic etch (sandblasting is the most common). I also think it might be best to look to outsource the job. Outsourcing work is an excellent way to make money. You probably have a sandblaster within 50 miles of you that would love to help you with this job.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving