Thread: Wood or Veritas in Plough and Moving Fillister

Wood or Veritas in Plough and Moving Fillister

I'm going to add a Plough Plane and a Moving Fillister plane in the future as I can afford. So far I've been using all wooden planes and like them more than the vintage metal planes I've tried. That said, I really like the look of the Veritas versions of both these planes. Wooden ploughs are hard to find and usually expensive for vintage that might have enough original blades. This is less so for moving fillisters.

So, input appreciated...

TIA, Tony

PS. asking this on WC as well.

The veritas plow plane might be the best thing they make. Wooden plow planes are fine, but they still ride on a metal skate, and to really get something that works nicely in hardwood, it has to have the irons matched to it or very close. A stanley 45 makes a decent budget plow plane if you buy one with the depth stop and fence, and no irons or just a couple of plow irons.

If you're using a wooden moving fillister, it's easiest to work to a depth mark if it needs to be precise. They are nicer than the skew rabbet veritas plane in softwood, but the veritas plane is nicer in medium hardwoods and harder, and everything about it is more precise. It's nice to have both if you can get a moving fillister bought right.

The small plow is excellent and probably the most point-n-shoot plane on the planet...as easy to setup and use a a block plane. I would agree with Dave that it may very well be the best thing they make.

I also have and quite love the skew rabbet, but if your used to wood you may find it less "slick". Between the sole and the fence, there's a good bit of metal to wood contact and I find I get best results when I wax this plane...both the fence and the sole. It an excellent plane though, less point-n-shoot than the plow, but very easy to adjust once you get the hang of setting the blade so it protrudes from the side just the right amount.

In general I think the LVs joinery planes are really where getting premium planes pays off the most. I don't really have any premium bench planes, and while I'd like some have never felt a need for them, but as I've said before and will say again you will get my small plow, skew rabbet, and router plane from me when you pry them from my cold dead hand.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

definitely wax both the sole and the fence. If a chunk of paraffin doesn't fit up tight into the sole and fence, a corner of it can be shaved thinner so it does.

There really is nothing better than using a well made wooden plough plane that is set up properly and doesn't require any tune up. The last wooden plough I used was a D.L. Barrett & Sons piece of art work plough plane. A friend of mine had saved up and bought himself one and he really isn't much of a woodworker. I saw the thing sitting on a shelf and about fell off my seat in excitement when I witnessed it. He let me take it for a spin and let me bring it home for a bit to play with. All I can say about this plane is WOW. I have been very happy and a fan of the Veritas Plow and would recommend it to anyone. But if you want a top of the line plough that is effortless in use look no further than the D.L. Barrett. Be prepared to pay for it though.

(this was posted on WC as well)

Hi Tony

I have a wooden plough, and it does the job superbly. I also have the LV Small Plow, and it does just as good a job, only differently.

I built a bridle plough because I fancied one. It feels like a tank mowing its way through any obstacle. Get a head of steam up, and nothing stands in its way ..

It was the most complex plane I have built to date.

Build pictorial: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...oughBuild.html

The LV Small Plow is like a sports car - fast, nimble and light. It is capable of precision. Just a wonderful, versatile plane.

Recently, LV brought out a set of wider blades and blades for T&G, and these do work well - not a substitute for a fillister, but I have used them for rebating.http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...SmallPlow.html

The one modification (if you can call it that) is to add a deep sub-fence. This makes maintaining vertical very easy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alright, so here's the plan - all I have to do is...

1. invent a skill transfer device
    2. save up for a ticket to the place where the towels circle the wrong direction
    3. fly to said island
    4. distract a certain skilled woodworker
    5. zap him with skill transfer device
    6. build my own beautiful bridle plough plane

Easy, Peasy. Problem solved

Ok, so until I get the machine perfected I think I'll go with LV for now.