Thread: GCCS technique for 2x4 lumber?

GCCS technique for 2x4 lumber?

I finally got some time to put together my new EZ Smart guide system today. Excellent quality machining, everything was tight as a drum out of the box. I quickly got the knack of using the guide as I crosscut some 1x4 stock for my Smart Table. Since I was on a roll, I decided to prepare the whole 100" worth of edge guide using a scrap 2x4.

I discovered that the combined thickness of the Smart Base and guide rail made it impossible to cut through a 2x4 in one pass. My depth of cut just isn't deep enough... My saw is a Porter Cable, model PC 447K. It's a 7-1/4" saw (if that helps at all).

So what do I do? Take a pass, flip the board and guide and make another pass? That hardly seems "EZ." Without the guide, the Smart Base is thin enough that I could get through a 2x4 in one pass, but then I lose the guided saw... which is the whole point.

Are there 7-1/4" saws with substantially greater depth of cut than my PC?

Frustrating.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Toebbe
    I finally got some time to put together my new EZ Smart guide system today. Excellent quality machining, everything was tight as a drum out of the box. I quickly got the knack of using the guide as I crosscut some 1x4 stock for my Smart Table. Since I was on a roll, I decided to prepare the whole 100" worth of edge guide using a scrap 2x4.

I discovered that the combined thickness of the Smart Base and guide rail made it impossible to cut through a 2x4 in one pass. My depth of cut just isn't deep enough... My saw is a Porter Cable, model PC 447K. It's a 7-1/4" saw (if that helps at all).

So what do I do? Take a pass, flip the board and guide and make another pass? That hardly seems "EZ." Without the guide, the Smart Base is thin enough that I could get through a 2x4 in one pass, but then I lose the guided saw... which is the whole point.

Are there 7-1/4" saws with substantially greater depth of cut than my PC?

Frustrating.
    This is the best solution for now.
    Remove the white antichip edge and use the guide as an edge guide.
    With the smart clamps you can secure the 2x4 and you cut from right to left.
    In this case you use the flat antichip insert. AC-1.
    We're working on getting 7-1/2" saw blades that is standard on EU and AU.
    Some people go for the 8-1/4' circular saws.
    The question is how many times you will need to rip 2x4 materials?
    Using the EZ smart as an edge guide you still have a guided cut. But the min. capacity (width) is 2".This is more than 1/2 of the 2x4 and you should be ok.
    I hope this helps.
    http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gal...youttable.html
    YCF Dino

Oh, not too shabby Dino. Still pretty EZ, and I could pretty quickly establish the kerf using the rail. If I were chopping 2x4 every day that would quickly become a hassle, but almost everything I need to cut regularly is less than an inch thick. Thanks for the help!
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Oh, not too shabby Dino.
    Is this good or bad?
    Jon. In 1-1/2 year we have 3-4 people who have a need for a larger saw.
    And few others adapt the edge guide tequenique for thick materials.
    This is why the problem is shown on the first photo gallery and in the instructions.
    But the power needed to rip 2x materials EZ, is better found on an 8-1/4' CS.
    I think "shabby" is bad. Or is just me?
    Thanks Jon.
    YCF Dino

I kinda think this is one time I'd just use a speed square to guide the cut! And it would still be able to take advantage of the no-chip base. But no matter...it's wonderful that there are so many choices...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I kinda think this is one time I'd just use a speed square to guide the cut! And it would still be able to take advantage of the no-chip base. But no matter...it's wonderful that there are so many choices...
    You right on the cross cuts Jim. And when you need to cut few pieces or all pieces with diferent measurements.
    But when you need to cut or dado many pieces of the same length..
    Nothing beats the guide system with a lay-out table top.
    http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gal...outer_1443.jpg
    http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gal...outer_1432.jpg

...it's wonderful that there are so many choices...
    Dino/Ditto to that.
    YCF EZ dino

Jon, I'm "one of those people" who has found a need to rip 2x4's and similar on a regular basis. As luck would have it, my otherwise faithful Dewalt CS started to have issues with the bearings. OK, good excuse to get a new CS. I opted for the Bosch 8-1/4". With the EZ guide in place, w/the anitchip edge in place and using as you would normally use the guide system, I can rip clear to 1-11/16". This is great for doing exactly what your needs are in ripping 2x material, as well as giving you an initial "jointed" edge when prepping rough lumber up to 6/4. Otherwise, using the method Dino describes will work, as well. I believe our house was built by a bunch of drunken sailors, so any repairs, remodels or retrofits *require* doing some "fancy" cuts, so the 8-1/4" saw was the best solution for me. Plus, I do like 6/4 rough sawn when I come across it for a good price.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos
    I think "shabby" is bad. Or is just me?
    Exactly. Shabby is bad, so "not too shabby" = not bad = good. I gave your technique a try today, and it works well. Thanks for the quick feedback.

It's not so much that I need to rip 2x4 material regularly, it's that I'd like to with much fuss. As John points out, "jointing" rough 6/4 lumber will be a perk of the EZ Guide (someday, when I have a jointer/planer to finish the prep). For right now, the EZ + my current CS will do. One of these days I'll have to look into 8-1/4" saws.

While we're on the EZ Guide topic: I knocked together my Smart table today, and am very pleased with the results. It was awfully nice to find the right number of fasteners in the kit along with clear, easy to follow instructions. Photos to follow (in another thread).

Thanks, Dino -- I'm loving the EZ Smart system so far!
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Exactly. Shabby is bad, so "not too shabby" = not bad = good. I gave your technique a try today, and it works well. Thanks for the quick feedback.

I knew that.

It's not so much that I need to rip 2x4 material regularly, it's that I'd like to with much fuss. As John points out, "jointing" rough 6/4 lumber will be a perk of the EZ Guide (someday, when I have a jointer/planer to finish the prep).

Then you can use the EZ Smarter- Ez smart.
    Jon. All woodworking tasks can be done with the EZ Smart.
    Edge jointing using a hand held portable planer.

http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/din..._1648small.jpg

http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/din..._1647small.jpg

Face jointing using your router
    And face sanding and edge sanding using your sanders.

While we're on the EZ Guide topic: I knocked together my Smart table today, and am very pleased with the results. It was awfully nice to find the right number of fasteners in the kit along with clear, easy to follow instructions. Photos to follow (in another thread).

Thanks, Dino -- I'm loving the EZ Smart system so far!
    Thank you Jon.

And next time use another name or category for the Ez Smart woodworking system. The "GCSS" is only for guided circular saws and routers.
    I think the proper name should be the GTS.
    Guided Tools system.
    What you think? "not too shabby" ???
    Last edited by Dino Makropoulos; 05-20-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Hi Jon,

I'm a bit late coming to the party, and it seems you've already gotten some good advice. I had the occasion recently to trim some quite thick doors and found that I could make one pass at the deepest cut I could on the guide, then flipped the door and used the edge of the kerf visible on the end to align my guide to make the second cut from the opposite side. A bit more work, but let me use my rail and gave me a flawless result.

BTW... Welcome to the BSG (Brotherhood of the SmartGuide ) Did anyone show you the secret handshake yet? There was a nice review of the SmartGuide on "Tools of The Trade" http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...ticle&partID=1

Best Wishes,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Berendsohn
    Did anyone show you the secret handshake yet?
    No, but I understand it involves all 10 fingers. That's another good idea -- I was thinking I'd have to re-measure on the opposite side, which is a recipe for disaster. Good tip!

Cheers,
    Jon
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

LOLLLLL... You're gonna fit in fine Jon The secret to the SmartGuide handshake is that the BSG don't have shaking hands
    Glad I was able to help. Now get the router guide if you really want to blow your mind.

PaulB