Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What happened to class? All we have is crass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Dan

Not that it's the same but a simple comparison of the violence in this country versus that in other countries should give you a clue.
    How so? Considering the types of violence in other countries, i.e. genital mutation, beheadings, honor killings the US seems relatively tame! What specifically are you referring to?

Must be a comparison to western or northern europe or japan. That's about the only places in the world that have less violence and fewer murders. Central and s. america, africa, some parts of the middle east, eastern europe and russia are no great place to look if someone wants to make us look bad. What's not described in the statistics is also the fact that it's pretty easy to avoid violence in the US if you stay away from participating in crime. At least if avoidance of the bulk is good enough.

I doubt that anyone has actual facts and data to back up any of the statements on here related to America vs the world and their perception of violence. I'll take America as the place to live, thank you. You can have the rest of the world.

Try comparing the US to the civilized world not third world countries.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sometimes geography can be quite a decider.

I was in London a while back with a friend from the US having dinner when an advertising truck went past with the slogan "Don't dump in the streets" on the side.

Here that refers to not dropping litter or say sweet wrappers. My American friend was astounded until I pointed out what it's UK meaning was.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Sometimes geography can be quite a decider.

I was in London a while back with a friend from the US having dinner when an advertising truck went past with the slogan "Don't dump in the streets" on the side.

Here that refers to not dropping litter or say sweet wrappers. My American friend was astounded until I pointed out what it's UK meaning was.

best wishes

Dave
    dump in the street mean the same thing to some of the USA citizens as it do to the united kingdom citizens

Bottom line, Biff... people stopped teaching their kids.

Worse yet, that isn't really true. They are teaching their kids, but all the wrong things:

With kids in the car, they speed; run stop signs; text while driving; talk on the phone while driving; eat while driving. Then they wonder why their kids do it!

I was in Costco today, and a lady with her 5 kids kept going from food sampler kiosk to food sampler kiosk one after another...each kid getting a sample. I honestly think she was feeding them lunch! What does that teach them? Go get free food. It doesn't cost you anything. Not just one or two that you might be interested in, but all of them. You don't have to pay for it, don't worry, someone else will. Before I get on a political rant, I'll stop right there.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Interesting thread. Born, reared, and living in the South, I expect and receive respect from most men. I can't recall the last time I opened a door, seriously. I have had men run to get to the door before me so they can open it for me. On the flip side, I open doors for other women, and the elderly. I return shopping carts for harried women with screaming children, and the elderly. I consider that common courtesy.

Regarding profanity, I speak fluent "French", but not in public and not at work, and only when I slam my finger in the kitchen drawer. I manage a shop full of men, and out of respect for me they do not use profanity in my hearing. They all refer to me as Miss Belinda, or Miss B (which I'm fairly certain isn't short for Belinda). Having said all of that, I live in a town that, while still Southern, has changed greatly over the past few years. It is now common place to have shootings and stabbings in broad daylight downtown in the tourist district. There is an element of society here that has no respect for anything or anyone. The F and the MF are said every other word in conversation regardless of who is in earshot. Sometimes I can use the "mama look" and they look shamefaced and turn away. I have though had a different reaction numerous times, and must choose to walk away. When someone says "Who you lookin' at you Cracker female dog?", I believe it best to avoid that confrontation.

Savannah is also a military town, surrounded by military towns. Several years ago I was sitting at the bar at Chili's when a group of freshly home young Rangers came in. Understandably, the did a lot of cussin'. After about ten minutes I walked up to them, told them I wanted to buy them a round, but there was one condition attached. I pointed out that sitting right behind them in a booth were two small boys, who were completely in awe of them, whose mother probably wasn't going to be happy with their expanded vocabulary on the ride home. They apologized to me, to the mom, and all I heard every few minutes for the next hour was, "F.. Sorry, pardon me m'aam."

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Interesting thread. Born, reared, and living in the South, I expect and receive respect from most men. I can't recall the last time I opened a door, seriously. I have had men run to get to the door before me so they can open it for me. On the flip side, I open doors for other women, and the elderly. I return shopping carts for harried women with screaming children, and the elderly. I consider that common courtesy.

Regarding profanity, I speak fluent "French", but not in public and not at work, and only when I slam my finger in the kitchen drawer. I manage a shop full of men, and out of respect for me they do not use profanity in my hearing. They all refer to me as Miss Belinda, or Miss B (which I'm fairly certain isn't short for Belinda). Having said all of that, I live in a town that, while still Southern, has changed greatly over the past few years. It is now common place to have shootings and stabbings in broad daylight downtown in the tourist district. There is an element of society here that has no respect for anything or anyone. The F and the MF are said every other word in conversation regardless of who is in earshot. Sometimes I can use the "mama look" and they look shamefaced and turn away. I have though had a different reaction numerous times, and must choose to walk away. When someone says "Who you lookin' at you Cracker female dog?", I believe it best to avoid that confrontation.

Savannah is also a military town, surrounded by military towns. Several years ago I was sitting at the bar at Chili's when a group of freshly home young Rangers came in. Understandably, the did a lot of cussin'. After about ten minutes I walked up to them, told them I wanted to buy them a round, but there was one condition attached. I pointed out that sitting right behind them in a booth were two small boys, who were completely in awe of them, whose mother probably wasn't going to be happy with their expanded vocabulary on the ride home. They apologized to me, to the mom, and all I heard every few minutes for the next hour was, "F.. Sorry, pardon me m'aam."

I would like to have seen that scene with the rookies

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I return shopping carts for harried women with screaming children, and the elderly. I consider that common courtesy.
    Now, if you'd just return PMs...
    I drink, therefore I am.