Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What happened to class? All we have is crass.

There's a few here saying its ridiculous to make foul language illegal... But I think in most states and provinces it is actually illegal isn't it - just not enforced.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    There's a few here saying its ridiculous to make foul language illegal... But I think in most states and provinces it is actually illegal isn't it - just not enforced.
    There are some states here that have provisions against using obscene language. Usually, it would go down more as either a disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace charge, or assault if directed threateningly against someone else. It one of those, "Your rights end when my rights begin" kind of things. I don't know of any prosecutions JUST for bad language, but sometimes it becomes part of the case. For example, language can become a big part of an assault case because it can help show motive and intent. I do vaguely remember some cases where things like this have gone to higher courts and they always side with our freedom of speech being supreme to all other concerns. Maybe freedom of "expression" is a better term because the act of speaking itself is NOT protected. So I can't yell, "FIRE" in a crowded theater, and I can't go up to someone on the street and say, "I have a gun...I'm going to shoot you".

I guess the problem is, who gets to decide what is obscene and offensive? I assure you, there are people out there that believe heckling their politician is offensive. There are people that think two gay men kissing in public is offensive. There are people that don't much likes Jews and Christians and don't want to have to listen to a prayer group having a little gathering in the park.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 06-11-2013 at 9:22 AM.

My two favorite comedians are Louis CK and Jim Gaffigan. One uses a fair amount of profanity in his acts while the other does not. I find both equally funny (in similar ways). The one who uses profanity, I do not find "profane" because the bad words are used as punctuation marks or exclamation points rather than as a substitution for actual words. That is the only time I cannot deal with profanity: When the speaker seemingly has the fundamental inability to communicate in spoken English without dropping the F-bomb every other word.

Just my opinion.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

We have young kids.....the word I really don't like to hear is 'hate'. Much worse than cursing in my opinion. Not that I'm condoning swearing in public. The real downside to kids swearing all the time is the diluting effect it'll have on the words impact: these words are to evoke a strong response, if used all the time that effect will be lost.
    Overused, profanity ceases to be profane! Then what will I say when I hit my finger with my hammer?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Part of the increase in public vulgarity is the result of a society that does not understand that there is a need of some formality .Every time I'm in a doctors office and hear a "Bob " or "Mary" called for their appointment and see someone three times the age of the receptionist get up ,I wonder how we got where we are. Heard a country's leader call another country's leader by a knick name in a press conference recently!
    The "Bob" or "Mary thing is because we have laws (HIPAA) guarding our privacy. Just wait awhile. When the right people are offended by language, they'll make it a law.

Hmmmm? We have HIPAA, yet our government can check our phone records... strange!

I'm not so sure your take on the name thing is correct,Bill. Possible,but where there is an older person calling the patient it's usually "Mr." or "Mrs" Whoever. All that is necessary for privacy is to stick to just saying the name .No need to say "Mr.Whoever ,the doctor is ready to look at your assteroids" Or is it hemoroids? Why can't I remember that?

Because I'm in the habit of always opening any door for my wife, I just do it out of second nature anytime a lady happens to arrive at a doorway at the same time I do. Coffee shop, gym, etc. Don't think twice about it. Many times, the lady will say, "Thank you". Sometimes, however, they look perplexed, as if it is a shock and not really knowing how to respond. Just an interesting observation.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I hope there are laws about foul language, because if someone is arrested for violating them, the DA will have to present evidence in court. It won't be "the F word" as a stand-in phrase, it will be the actual F-word, spoken out loud in front of a judge. And dutifully recorded by the court reporter. Which high school students can request as research for their civics classes.

I also look forward to my tax dollars paying for jail facilities for the angry people who didn't want pickles on their fast food hamburger. Swearing = jobs.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-14-2013 at 8:03 AM.
    Play drums!

Seth ,the laws are there .Easy enough to check. I'm trying to be happy anyway.Since you have that picture of Jefferson (or have an amazing resemblance to him)you might find this interesting .Jefferson and a boy of the family were walking and an approaching slave bowed to them .Jefferson bowed in return but the boy did not. After the servant was gone Jefferson corrected the boy by saying ,"Will you allow a negro to be more of a gentleman than you are ?" I think his point was that civility is not a debt to others anymore than a personal ornament desired by the wise.

I'm not so sure your take on the name thing is correct,Bill. Possible,but where there is an older person calling the patient it's usually "Mr." or "Mrs" Whoever. All that is necessary for privacy is to stick to just saying the name .No need to say "Mr.Whoever ,the doctor is ready to look at your assteroids" Or is it hemoroids? Why can't I remember that?
    Sorry, but I've had the nurses tell me it's for HIPAA, plus my wife works at a hospital and HIPAA is super fussy about that stuff.

Thanks ,Bill .That is news to me and interesting that the person who thought of it is allowed to make rudeness the law.Things are worse than I thought. A sign saying take a number if you don't want your name called would make more sense .They will not summon me like someone calling a child.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post

I guess the problem is, who gets to decide what is obscene and offensive? I assure you, there are people out there that believe heckling their politician is offensive. There are people that think two gay men kissing in public is offensive. There are people that don't much likes Jews and Christians and don't want to have to listen to a prayer group having a little gathering in the park.
    Back when I was in school at Penn State, there was a preacher who preached every day on the Willard building steps. Some of the "Defenders of free speech" at the school, you know, the kinds who only like it when they decide what other people say, had "free speech zones" set up on the school and marginalized the willard preacher and someone else to speaking in designated "free speech" areas. I have never given a nickel to the school and never will again, it was just par for the course for them to go from being an interesting place to be to a controlled PC place.

FTR, I don't care that they forced the guy to speak in a different public common area because he was speaking about religious things every day, I care that they forced him to speak in a different public common area for any reason, and I won't even name the "fest" they sponsored that was extremely offensive.

The shame of it was, I never encountered anyone at Willard who couldn't get in and out to class, but there were always people there who were either openly debating with the Willard preacher (because of their own religious views or lack of them), or who found religion on their own accord. The ability for everyone to listen if they wanted to or not listen if they didn't want to, or engage in mental exercise...I kind of thought that's what "it's about" at college.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 06-11-2013 at 3:22 PM.

Thanks ,Bill .That is news to me and interesting that the person who thought of it is allowed to make rudeness the law.Things are worse than I thought. A sign saying take a number if you don't want your name called would make more sense .They will not summon me like someone calling a child.
    a story about two sisters and their dead mother appear in the news recently, the mother die from cancer and the sisters wore a hat with a message about cancer on it, the message use a ribbon to replace part of the F word, the people at the meeting told the sisters to REMOVE THE HATS

Ray, I'm having trouble following that story. Why would their hats say F in the first place. was it the F word and then "cancer"?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Ray, I'm having trouble following that story. Why would their hats say F in the first place. was it the F word and then "cancer"?
    Ha ha...this is one of those times I followed Ray perfectly well. PM sent ROFL.