Thread: Handled Wood Moving Fillister Plane

Handled Wood Moving Fillister Plane

This is my first post so bear with me if I don't do something right.

I recently picked up this Handled wooden moving fillister plane at the local flea market. It's stamped L. & I.J. White Buffalo. It has a skewed blade, brass depth stop, wedged cross grain nicker, conical escapement, and a handle. I bought it with the intent to use it but the sole needs a bit of work to get into working order. If you look close you can kind of see that the toe has more wear than the heal (look at the boxing taper). The toe directly under depth stop is in the neighborhood of 1/16" lower than the rest of the sole. If it is in fact on the rare side I will most likely put it on the top shelf of my plane cabinet to look at. Also while trying to find out some information on it may be rarer than I originally thought. First off I have only seen one other handled (wooden) moving fillister. Another thing that makes me scratch my head is the makers mark - It doesn't look like the "L. & I.J. White Buffalo" mark that I have seen on the various sites that talk about the maker. I'll try to get a picture of the mark and post it if any one is interested.

I just thought I'd share and see if anyone on here has ever come across one like this or might have any information on it.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd use it as it is before doing anything to the sole. Just mark the dept of the rabbets you want to cut and don't overcut them. It looks to be in fairly good shape, which is where most of the skewed wooden planes I've bought have had trouble (the plane mouth erodes right at the front corner allowing shavings to bunch up there).

The entire toe does (and not just the taper right at the front) look like it might not be copalanar with the back, but that may not equate to bad use, especially if you mark your rabbets with a gauge to check progress, and you take a fairly heavy cut (as I'd imagine most people did since taking smoother shavings with a fillister plane is a waste of time).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 06-12-2013 at 9:07 AM.