Thread: HDU Sign Backing Material

HDU Sign Backing Material

Recently I began an 8 ft. long by 2 ft. wide outdoor sign using 1 inch, 15 pound density HDU. This is my first experience with HDU. While this sign will be wall mounted, I still want to stiffen it up with some backing material, but not plywood. Recommendations please?

Thanks,

John

Though it's not cheap $150 4x8), I would use 3mm Dibond or the equivalent, the material that has a PVC core and thin aluminum on both sides. You will only need half a sheet but will likely find use for the rest. The stuff lasts forever, and you can easily cut shapes with a CNC. Some sign supplies now stock a cheaper Chinese version such as alucobond which I have seen for $110.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

What Joe said, but next time you might consider going to a higher density so you don't have that problem, it is more expensive but then you don't have to add the cost of going back and adding another material to it. I prefer the 20lb and 30lb, I understand though that you can't always get the customer that's willing to pay but, I keep some samples of the 15lb and 30lb to show them (there's a huge difference) and they usually realize the benefit of the denser material, it's great stuff when you can get the right job for it.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.