Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wheels for a Hammer A3-31

My A3 31 is on a Shop Fox heavy duty with cast iron wheels. Raises machine less than an inch. Base can be configured with swivel casters on front or either end. Fixed casters can be placed at either axis - bolt holes at 90 degrees. Set it up to function on long axis to move down the driveway and thru the shop. Then switched it to short axis to move in and out from wall. Just moved to larger shop and reversed direction for move. Don't really need mobility any more but leaving it on the base. Base works very well. Rated at 1300 pounds I think.

My A3 31 was originally on the mobile base but it was too difficult to position it where I wanted it to go. So I put it on the Shop Fox heavy duty base with metal wheels and ordered another pair of the swivel casters from Amazon so I have swivel casters on all 4 corners. This way there was no drilling on the Hammer to fit post casters which would have been difficult. It did require drilling on the Shop Fox base to mount the extra swivel casters out farther so they'd swivel 360 degrees. But now I can move the Hammer in any direction. While the base has posts to screw down to immobilize the machine it has enough mass that I haven't found the need to use them.

Cliff

I put mine on a base board made from flooring and that sits on four no name casters. It takes a bit to initially start it rolling but it works and also raises the working height a bit.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    This is a useful thread that helped me to find solution to level and mobilize the Hammer A3 31. I went with the Foot Master GDR-60S caster, which has the ratcheting mechanism. These casters allow mobility and leveling capability to combat a slanted garage floor.

The A3 31 has two 12mm holes pre-drilled at the bottom of the chassis's front. They were drilled out to 1/2" to accommodate the 1/2" stem of the caster. Two additional 1/2" holes need to be drilled at the back of the chassis's bottom. I drilled the holes while the machine was still on its pallet.

I can move the A3 31 with one hand and level it at each corner. $200 well spent IMO.

Attachment 301754 Attachment 301755 Attachment 301756 Attachment 301757 Attachment 301758

Here is my experience. I found this thread when I ordered my A3-41 and decided on the Foot Master casters. After installing them I found the 2 on the front side actually bent the bottom flange of the Hammer (maybe because the -41 is heavier than the -31). This makes it impossible to move around the shop in a straight line as the front 2 casters are tilted and force the entire thing to steer in one direction. I am going to take them off and try something else.

Joshua, go with the tow bar/semi-live skid design.

It works great, that's why Felder use it..........I've done that with all my machines.........Rod.

I obtained the mobility kit along with the A3-31 when I purchased the combination 5 years ago. It was a little clumsy to move, but no big deal as it only needs to go back-and-forth a few feet when necessary. Most of the time it lives in one spot.

A few months ago I purchased the K3. This also came with a mobility kit, which is an updated design. The front hook section is now longer, and this makes the turning circle wider and easier to navigate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    This is a useful thread that helped me to find solution to level and mobilize the Hammer A3 31. I went with the Foot Master GDR-60S caster, which has the ratcheting mechanism. These casters allow mobility and leveling capability to combat a slanted garage floor.

The A3 31 has two 12mm holes pre-drilled at the bottom of the chassis's front. They were drilled out to 1/2" to accommodate the 1/2" stem of the caster. Two additional 1/2" holes need to be drilled at the back of the chassis's bottom. I drilled the holes while the machine was still on its pallet.

I can move the A3 31 with one hand and level it at each corner. $200 well spent IMO.

Attachment 301754 Attachment 301755 Attachment 301756 Attachment 301757 Attachment 301758
    How were you able to drill the holes while the machine was on the pallet. Did you accomplish alone? Thanks in advance for sharing the "secret."

Hi, when I do it I use the right angle chuck on my drill and a step bit.

Put the machine on 1/2" rollers, roll it so the end of the machine is off the pallet and drill the holes..........Rod.