Thread: Sublimation For Outdoors use

Sublimation For Outdoors use

I'm sure standard sublimated plastics & metals will fade in the outside weather.. What is the best method to extend their life out in the weather?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim,

I tried the dye-sublimated metal, it lasted about 3 months before it faded and started looking pretty bad.
    I have had better luck with dye-sublimated Corian but I still don't know what the service life is outside. I do know that the reason it lasts longer than the traditional materials is because the ink is sub-surface. Maybe Ken Dolph has some additional information about exterior longevity.

Maybe try Frog Juice : http://www.advantagesignsupply.com/S...g-Juice-12-oz-

It's very commonly used for printed items that aren't that UV stable.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Steve, I'll have to checkout that Frog Juice. In the interim, would some type of lacquer or other sealant help.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim

I use a product called Super Shield from shieldproducts.com. This is durable stuff and can last for years.

Frog Juice is relatively fragile as it flakes fairly easy. If you were close I give you my can.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Keith, et al

I also have to do a couple of outdoor sublimation items, in this case garden memorials for pets.

Is the Corian used for dye-sub prepared in any special way or is it just raw Corian? What are the press time and pressure please.

Thanks,

Pete
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

Peter,

Sand your blank, I use 120 grit paper on my ROS.
    Cover the entire blank with paper so you don't get heat lines. Heat tape will also produce heat lines.
    Heat to 320 degrees F for 20 minutes if its half inch thick.
    When your Corian comes out of the press make sure you have a means to keep it flat until it cools. I often clamp mine between two pieces of plywood or quarter inch pieces of aluminum plate.
    Once it cools any paper that is stuck to the Corian can be removed by soaking in water or a garden hose.
    Lately I have been wet sanding the face with very fine micro-mesh to get a bit of a shine on the piece.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-15-2013 at 6:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Tim

I use a product called Super Shield from shieldproducts.com. This is durable stuff and can last for years.

Frog Juice is relatively fragile as it flakes fairly easy. If you were close I give you my can.
    Hi Mike,
    I know this thread is pretty old, but I just happened upon it and contacted shieldproducts about Super Shield. Is there anywhere else one could get one spray can of it that you know of. They were nice and said they would ship a 3 can minimum plus shipping. Thought I'd like to try it before shelling out all that for 3 cans.
    Also, since reading your thread I have been investigating other products and have found some that sounded promising. Ever heard or tried any of these
    Rustoleum-Crystal Clear
    ClearJet
    Moeller Marine Clear
    Permalac

Preventing fading is a big issue for sublimation if you want your products to last in the outdoors. Finding something that would make them last a few years would be wonderful!

Karen

Where are you located? This stuff can't be shipped by air (or USPS) and there are some restrictions by UPS. It is also fairly expensive.

I haven't used the other brands you listed.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7