Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Source for pure Methanol

For small quantities, the gas additive HEET is methanol or isopropanol, yellow or red bottle respectively. Available at most auto parts stores and WalMarts. The methanol version is particularly popular with campers and alcohol stoves/burners.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Peter, in answer to your question you can purchase methanol from a automotive racing fuel supplier. It is the fuel that is used for alcohol based racing classes. It is also used in the production of biodiesel.

As others have said, it is extremely toxic and dangerous. When I went through bio-diesel class, the instructor was adamant that it could also cause blindness if not handled properly.

John, I agree with your assessment that wiping alcohol dyes is not really as problematic as many people repeat. I dare say many of those repeating that info have very little real experience doing so. With all the break off points on a door it's really easy.
    However since you've admitted to never trying water dyes, let me try and shake you out of your comfort zone. Like Scott said, they are more lightfast than alcohol dyes and are available in the metal acid complex formula. Also the hoopla about grain raising is very over blown. There's really nothing to it. In my sanding schedule it's simple: production sand, clean, hand sand, clean and a second clean with a damp cloth (if I do that at all) then finish by hand sanding. No real extra steps and no time to speak of
    To the OP Peter: Be sure and use a quality varnish with good UV filters. Dyes on an exterior face can fade like a campaign promise and you know how long those last.

I have worked in the oil field my hole life. I would highly discourage you from working with methanol unless you are very well trained and have proper PPE. Pure methanol is nasty and you NEVER want in inhale it's fumes.