Thread: Ideas for a 20' x 10' shop?

Ideas for a 20' x 10' shop?

I just bought the Oneida Dust Gorilla and before I send in the layout to get my ducting plan I have been rethinking the shop layout. Unfortunately, I can't come up with anything better than the current layout: (The dotted lines to the left and top are a 2" step up in the concrete floor)

The attached layout is my current setup.

Does anyone have any ideas for a 20'x10' shop? Of course, I'm sorely tempted to give up parking my truck in the garage and dedicating the extra space to the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Jones III; 05-20-2005 at 2:08 PM.

Tom,

Unfortunately it is really hard to link to yahoo sourced images. What you can do is download the images you are trying to link, to your desktop. Then upload the images to SMC.

As far as parking your truck outside, you may not have to, to get good use out of the space. Think of machines you can put on mobile bases. Where you can roll them into the truck stall when working and roll them back into the shop stall when not.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Second layout

This is the only option I have been able to come up with. I'm not sure that it is any better than what I currently have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, the concern with your second option would the be the length limitation of having them run side to side, instead of front to back.

However, I would think that it would be more useful to have the jointer and planer out in the open space, where you could better get at them, than along the wall.

Are you able to put them on mobile bases, as well as the bench, and roll them into the "Car space" when working?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Blog Entries
    Have you considered putting stuff on mobile bases? That would allow you to use the parking space for the truck and woodworking. If you can do that, then a whole new approach is required. You will need to consider how things are arranged when in operation mode, and also where they will be stored when the vehicle is occupying the space. I just spent a week working on my shop layout here on the forum and really got quite a few ideas and things to consider. But, until you decide things like which tools are on mobile bases and which ones are not, it is going to be pretty hard to come up with a layout. I would at the very least get mobile bases for the jointer, planer and router table. Also, you need to consider the height of the various tools. The work bench can make a really good outfeed table if it is the right height.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I second the mobile base thing. See if you can find the issue of Wood that was on workshops. About 1-2 years old.

Personally with a small space, I would not mess with Onieda design. Just pipe in a nice diagonal line across the majority of the garage and the brnach off some drops to the walls.

Hook the machines up when needed. This way you can maximize the space when needed.

My 2 cents.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

The TS, router, jointer and planer are all on mobile bases. My concern is how do handle ducting if I'm moving the tools around so much. Wouldn't it require dozens of feet of flex hose? OTOH, is the Gorilla so powerful that it can handle large amounts of flex hose?

Currently the router table is the outfeed table. When I get time I plan on lowering the workbench so that it can be an outfeed as well.

Scott, you are probably right. With such a small space I will probably just make the run you suggest.

Lay out the shop "assuming" the whole space is available when you are actually woodworking and then:

1) Use mobile bases
    2) Use ceiling drops that are short...you use a little more flex that way, but with your Gorilla in a small shop, it isn't going to matter much. Put quick disconnects for the hoses for convenience
    3) Use ceiling drops for power with twist locks on short strain-relief equipped pigtails

In this manner, you can turn the shop into a shop when you need it and still have an easy time to move a vehicle in if you prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It never ceases to amaze me how many people park their vehicles in the garage!

I mean, what's that like? I have a dedicated shop miles away from my house and I still can't park the truck in the garage

Nick,

When I started out woodworking we parked both vehicles in the garage. Then I decided it was easier to leave my truck out. Then the wife offered to leave her car out if I would start it in the winter

I have been warned, when we move, she WILL be parking in the garage.
    Jeff Sudmeier

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Then the wife offered to leave her car out if I would start it in the winter
    Sounds like a nice time for a remote starter setup...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom,

I am not going to say anything new but I had the same issue. I decided everything that could go on mobile bases would. I have not yet decided if I will get a gorilla. RIght now I use an old Jet DC650 with a cannister and a "garbage can top" cyclone as a first stage in front of it. As I use my mobile shop more and more I will be in a better position to figure out what shop setup works for me. Once that is accomplished, I may consider fixed duct for my DC versus the wheel around kind.

My lumber storage area is fixed but I am continuing to build my mobile workstations. Their heights will match as outfeed tables as well. My jointer, contractor saw, band saw and drill press are on wheels. I still fit the SUV in the garage when necessary (althoug I don't know when that will ever be necessary.) I am lucky enough to have a separate 1 car garage for LOML.

When your shop cannot be dedicated, mobility for me is the key.

Jeff

Garage Workshop

SWMBO has one shop rule. Buy as many tools as you want but at the end of the day her car will be in the garage. I love the first part but hate the last part. Guess you can't have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Personally with a small space, I would not mess with Onieda design. Just pipe in a nice diagonal line across the majority of the garage and the brnach off some drops to the walls.

Hook the machines up when needed. This way you can maximize the space when needed.

My 2 cents.
    Mobile Bases and what Scott said, with your limited space that's the best way to go. When I had the same situation, I would move my TS, BS, and/or Planer outside on the concrete approach and work outdoors.
    Tony

I have the same problem. My solution was to put everything on wheels so that I can move it out into the garage and stow it away to put SWMBO's car in. I have one suggestion and that is to turn the saw/router table so that you face the door when operating either one. You don't want to be startled by someone walking through the door while you are in the middle of an operation.