Thread: Turning in an apartment?

Turning in an apartment?

I took a pen turning class today and now I REALLY want to turn more stuff. My fiance is also really interested in pen making and I am so thrilled to have a possible hobby to do together. I want to turn small objects, especially pens... so I don't need a huge lathe.

The problem is that I live in a small apartment. I have the perfect place to set up a lathe, but I do not have room for a drill press, bandsaw, or any other large power tools. Does anyone else here have a similar limitation who can give me some tips?

I imagine for pen making I can use a coping saw to cut blanks. As for the drill press, my instructor briefly mentioned that there is something you can attach to a lathe to drill out the pens. I didn't take note of it unfortunately. Does anyone know what he was talking about? He said it would cost me about another $250 get that, which I can use in place of a drill press.

Also I need to know what generally comes with a lathe and what I would need to buy to make pens? What is the name of that rod with the metal bushings that you turn the pen on? Also what is that thing called that presses the parts of the pen together (pen press? haha).

Is this too ambitious for my small space?

The rod that you mount the blank on is called a mandrel. In this case it's a pen mandrel and you have to buy the correct size for your lathe. It has the rod to hold the pen blanks, tapers usually at both ends to mount in the headstock(motor driven part) and the tailstock(free spinning end) If your looking at a mini or midi lathe which is what it sounds like, likely an MT1 or Morse taper 1, midis(little bigger) are sometimes MT2 so make sure which you get. To drill blanks on the lathe all you need is a drill chuck to stick in the tailstock with the correct taper, same thing MT1 or MT2, same as the mandrel( I think I paid 15 bucks for mine but 50 should get you a nice enough one without having to shop around much). And of course the right size drill bit and pen milling cutter( mounts to the drill bit usually). You can also use the lathe to press the pen together instead of a pen press but that's mostly a money saving thing as a pen press isn't a big item. As for turning blanks a coping saw might be a little tedious but it would get the job done. But all the usual suspects for woodworking supplies that you would buy the pen kits or pieces from will also have pen blanks that you wouldn't have to cut at all, just drill and turn.

In an apartment environment the biggest thing I would worry about is dust collection. Turning can produce a whole lot of dust, particularly sanding produces alot of very fine dust. For the lathes you sound like your looking at and for pens/bottle stoppers/other small stuff, a decent shop vac with the right sized nozzle to cozy up to your work should do ok. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all. Be warned though, they call it a vortex for a reason, addictive as all get out. I just bought a new band saw mostly to cut blanks to make it easier to get my turning fix. Really great fun though, worth the ride for sure. Hope that's helpful.

Jon

Jared,

You need http: // www. penturners.org/forum/index.php go to there Library and there are videos on each step in the pen making process.
    Suspect the drill press alternative is a Jacobs Chuck - goes in the tailstock and it takes a drill bit.

Brian
    Last edited by John Keeton; 06-16-2013 at 5:26 AM. Reason: Remove link to forum per TOS

I see three big issues for an apartment - space, dust and noise. I love my Home Depot shop vac marked as having "noise-reduction-technology". On the shelves they have a designation for loudness. I think the quieter ones have the word "professional" in the name. It has much more air volume and far quieter than my other screaming shop vac. http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-14...6#.Ub4PxvY_9Fc

I agree that using a Jacob's chuck in the lathe is a good drill press substitute, maybe more accurate than a drill press in this application.

Yes, a hand saw is a good idea, or buy ready made blanks or have a friend with a bandsaw or table saw cut 50 at a time. With a handsaw you need a stable tale and a vise, which could take up as much room as a tiny 10" bandsaw (see Craigslist).
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use a small Japanese style saw with a reinforced back and small miter box to cut pen blanks to length. I drill and press on with the lath.

You may also need a scroll chuck to hold the blank while drilling.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

PSI sells a chuck that holds a square blank. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK.html
    Others turn the blank between centers to a specific diameter. Then the grab it with a collet chuck for drilling. It's very accurate. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html
    Many pros use a method called turning between centers. No mandrels to bend or whip. Go to pen turners.org and read all about it. You turn single parts with special bushings, between centers. Extremely accurate. Bushings are purchased from http://www.penturnersproducts.com/
    A floor box fan with a pleated filter on the back will do a pretty good job with the dust. A friend of mine converted a closet into a turning shop. If there is a will, there's a way. Do you have a balcony? In AZ that should easily be an option when it's cool enough outside. I also know guys that turn on a picnic table while camping. Folks walking by start purchasing items, it usually pays for the RV site.

I spent my first few years turning in the kitchen of my apartment. What started as bottle stoppers and small goblets etc became big bowls and even a 7' 4 post bed. The only issues I had were noise (2nd floor apartment, person underneath heard it when I turned big stuff). An understanding partner is necessary, but we didn't find the dust to migrate all that far. Vacuum often, and a box fan/furnace filter can help a ton.

A mini lathe, a japanese pull saw, a couple of clamps, and the basic pen making accessories are all you really need to start. Personally, I'd pick up a PSI baraccuda chuck and a jacob's chuck for the tailstock, that's how I drill my blanks. A chuck with a few jaw sets gives you tons of flexibility for projects. The harbor freight tool set is an excellent value to start off.

I agree with everything Richard, in post #7, mentioned. In addition to the chuck for the headstock to hold the blank, you'll need a chuck for the tailstock to hold a drill bit. You'll also need some calipers, digital or manual. Harbor freight ones are ok.
    Lots of good info on SMC but also check out penturners.org.
    Get ready to get sucked into the "vortex".
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I can recommend an apartment size lathe.

If you can find a Wilton 99177 mini wood lathe, it's GREAT for pens. Good for bottle stoppers too. Not so good for bowls. It's very small, variable speed, and light. Looks like the shopfox W1704 is a clone.

These have the disadvantage of having MT1 headstock and tailstock. There are plenty of chucks and accessories available, but they won't scale up if you upgrade to a larger lathe later.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum