Thread: Question on Walnut finishing

Question on Walnut finishing

I am planning on building a built in bench/coat storage for a little nook in our entryway. I am planning on using some walnut ply for the top, will probably double it up, with a solid walnut edge-band. My question is what is the best way to finish the walnut? It will see alot of wear! Three boys sitting on it, climbing on it, throwing stuff on it, chewing on it, and who knows what else! I have an HVLP so I can spray but prefer to only spray WB stuff as I spray in my gargage. I have sprayed some Zinsser BIN as primer before paint, but what a pain to clean up! I plan on placing a order from Target Coatings today or tomorrow for some EM6500. Any products from them for the Walnut?

Thanks for the help.

You might consider EM8000 for the topcoat. I would either use shellac underneath or dye it first to highlight the grain and make it look like a solvent based coating was used. FWIW, I really like Arm-R-Seal on walnut. Easy to apply with a paper towel, and looks great by itself or over WB dye.

John

Any thoughts on the EM9000? I have never used Conversion Varnish, what are the benefits, drawbacks, etc? Is it tough to spray? What dyes would you use? I have another question if you dont mind. I am planning on painting the case white. It will be made out of birch ply with maple FF. I am planning on using the EM6500 bright white but not sure what to prime it with? Would you recommend BIN or something else?

I've never used the EM8000, or EM9000 either. I made the recommendation to use a conversion varnish based on your stated needs for resistance to pretty much everything, and you don't have to be a pro to get Target Coatings' products. General Finishes also makes a WB conversion varnish, and at $121/gal (2X the EM8000) it must be darned good. I haven't used it either, but I've sprayed a lot of GF's EnduroVar and Hi Perf. Poly and like them both a lot. Personally, I would have no qualms about using either of those or EM9000 for your project, but you said you wanted nuclear resistance, thus, the recommendation to use conversion varnish.

BIN (the shellac based one) sounds like a good choice under the EM6500.

I really like Trantint dyes because they are soluble in both water and DNA, and I spray them a lot in DNA or shellac/DNA. Others like Transfast water soluble dyes because they are said to be more lightfast. I've never had a problem with Transtint fading in the 5 years I've used them, but that's not long term, to be sure. As for what color to use with walnut, the world is your oyster. I really like Transtint medium brown, but I've also used reddish brown, too, and it turned the walnut into almost a cherry color. You can push the color around pretty much any way you want.

John