Thread: Mesquite Experts - What species is this?

Question Mesquite Experts - What species is this?

According to the USDA's Forest Products Lab site, there are 45 trees that fall under the name Mesquite. I've been saving some mesquite boards for about 7 years and now have a project to put them to use on. Only problem is, I think after cutting around defects and splits I'm going to need another stick or two. I'd like to get the same species, but I'm not exactly sure what I've already got. I'm hoping somebody with more mesquite experience than I can tell from the pics.
    I bought mine at Woodworkers Source in Phoenix on a trip to AZ and they told me then that it was locally harvested mesquite. Their website page for mesquite says what they have now is Prosopis juliflora. The pic on their page http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer..._Code=Mesquite sort of looks like mine, but their's no garantee that what they were selling 7 yrs ago is what they are currently selling. My confusion is that the USDA FPL info says that Prosopis juliflora is a South American mesquite.

The USDA info for the various mesquites starts on page 95 of their pdf file at
    http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr83.pdf

Here's the pics of what I already have. Anybody care to hazard a guess??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Use the fence Luke

Doug --
    If that "local" harvest was in Texas, it was likely honey mesquite. In Arizona, it could have been either honey or screwbean. As I understand it, screwbean is generally somewhat darker than honey, but the tree-to-tree variances are large enough that color isn't a very reliable way of distinguishing them.

On a slightly different topic, your reference to the Forest Products Labs' book called North American Hardwoods is very interesting. I'd never seen that publication before, and it looks like it has lots of info in it. As I look around that site, FPL publishs a companion volume called North American Softwoods (http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr102.pdf). There is also reference to an FPL publication by Chudnoff called Tropical Timbers of the World. It looks very interesting, but I can't find a place to download it from that site. (I've googled on it, and found it in a printed version for $85. PDF for free would be much nicer.) Have you found it in PDF?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    ... There is also reference to an FPL publication by Chudnoff called Tropical Timbers of the World. It looks very interesting, but I can't find a place to download it from that site. (I've googled on it, and found it in a printed version for $85. PDF for free would be much nicer.) Have you found it in PDF?
    Nope. Tried searching their site after seeing your reply, but no luck. Found hundreds of references to it, but the abstracts all say "based on ...". Can't find the actual publication though. That whole site is a gold mine of info, but finding stuff there takes a lot of patience. I wasn't even aware of the softwoods one that you found. This page is definitely worth bookmarking though - http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm

Thanks for the reply on the mesquite.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug, I think this guy may be able to help, he's a creeker and this may not be allowed by the rules so if I errered I'm sorry (Ken). http://www.texaswoodcrafts.net/wood/ I don't have any connection to the site.

That looks like Texas honey mesquite to me...and chances are you could match it fairly well at any number of mills around South Texas. But then again, you just never know. The subtle, yet wide variance in color and figure of mesquite is what makes it special...and challenging to work with.

I've been able to 'recognize' three different varieties that are noticably different in color...Texas, Mexican, and South American.

KC

There aren't a lot of lumber sized trees in Arizona like there are in the Texas Hill Country, at least not native mesquite. The various South American mesquites are great landscape trees and grow very fast. Most of the mesquite I saw in AZ for sale (including Woodworker's Source) was from Mexico or South America, especially if it is long and wide. Screwbean is not native to AZ, and is rarely used for landscaping there (it is a Chihuahuan desert species rather than Sonoran). At the time of settlement, there were HUGE mesquites along the Salt River in Phoenix, but those are long gone.

The mesquites around here (SE New Mexico) are at most big enough for pen turnings....
    Bb

At a glance they look like Texas Honey Mesquite, color and face grain look very similar to what I have been able to aquire while in Texas. There is a mill in North Texas that usually has a substantial supply. If interested I'll look for the name and number.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lutz
    At a glance they look like Texas Honey Mesquite, color and face grain look very similar to what I have been able to aquire while in Texas. There is a mill in North Texas that usually has a substantial supply. If interested I'll look for the name and number.
    Hi Martin,

I am interested in the contact information for this mill. Please post it here, or PM me, whichever you like.

Thanks!

The other Martin
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin,

The mill is called "Woods of Mission Timber", Bob Pugh is the owner.

It is located at 4203 FM 455 West, Sanger, TX.76266

I have two phone numbers, not sure why: PH: 940-458-4750, 940-368-1747.

Take I-35 north to FM 455, go west young man, just past creekview road. its really not far from I 35.

I have dealt with Bob in the past and its always been pleasant.

Hope you find what you need.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lutz
    Martin,

The mill is called "Woods of Mission Timber", Bob Pugh is the owner.

It is located at 4203 FM 455 West, Sanger, TX.76266

I have two phone numbers, not sure why: PH: 940-458-4750, 940-368-1747.

Martin - Thanks for the info. I googled and found their website at
    http://www.swap-n-trade.com/citypage...ssion_timb.htm

Doesn't look like you can order online or anything - just a picture gallery and some basic info. They've got the 4750 phone nbr on their webpage.
    Use the fence Luke