Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Oneida Cyclone

I have the same system. The only time this happened to me, I had not made sure the drum binder was secure. Just wondering if you left two blast gate open for each job, would that help with the pressure?

I wouldn't forget the bag. Even if you have a place to dump your sawdust, the bag is a major convenience on a cold rainy night.

I think the odds are good Ken is right about the leaky drum.

After reading through all the posts, I'd say that logics all point to a drum leak of some type. I'd ask Oneida for a replacement drum.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I wouldn't forget the bag. Even if you have a place to dump your sawdust, the bag is a major convenience on a cold rainy night.

I think the odds are good Ken is right about the leaky drum.
    2nd on this post. My life is so much easier with a bag in the drum. I used to dread all the dust etc involved with emptying the drum.

One of Ken's posts got me thinking...

If I understand the gripper correctly, it goes inside the bag to prevent it from being sucked into the bottom of the cyclone, correct?

I would eliminate the barrel and do a test with the bag attached (taped) to the barrel lid with the gripper installed inside the bag. If the bag is not leaking and the seam is taped, this will impart the maximum pressure differential accross the bag. It should be the same as with a good seal and barrel attached only the barrel is eliminated. See if the gripper still maintains its shape. If it does maintain its shape, you have at least isolated the problem.

Mike

Matt & Jeff, as I stated in my post, Oneida did send me a new drum and lid. What are the odds that I got two leaky drums when none of their other customers are having the problem. I coated the first drum with Poly but I don't remember if I did the bottom. I will try that.

You aren't exactly talking about a high-volume manufacturer, and how many of those are using the bag system? And of those, how many figured out they had a drum leak and fixed it like I did with my Grizzly? I believe those fiber drums are frequently lined with plastic bags for their usual intended purpose so they be more structural than airtight. I'd caulk the bottom seam too.

My $.02. To the OP- sorry this is happening. I'm sure it's frustrating to spend that kind of money to have something not work, and to have the manufacturer blow you off. That is horrible customer service. I'm sure Oneida is reading this- they need to realize this doesn't instill confidence in prospective buyers (me being one of them), and makes people want to buy from competitors. Obviously we only know one side, but assuming this is a fair representation of the way they treat customers, shame on them.

But it is what it is.

As many have said, logic clearly points to a leak between the bag and the drum. Furthermore, since it works fine when the bag isn't rolled over the lip of the drum, I think it's fair to assume the seal is good between the lid and the drum. Thus, the lid and the drum are not your problem. That only leaves the bag as the culprit.

To validate this, follow Michael's recommendation. That is a valid test. If the gripper works as designed, then now we need to figure out a solution to get a good seal with the bag present. Maybe trying to get bags that very closely match the diameter of the drum would help (would reduce the need for "pleating" to bend it over the lip). Or maybe you try to overcome it with brute force- fab up a 16 gauge piece of stainless steel, rounded to match the interior dimensions of the drum, with some cross-bracing and some padding on the bottom edge to keep from ripping the bag.

If you still have the problem after Michael's test, then I'm stuck. Something in your description of the problem must be missing or incorrect.

Stick with it- I think you will figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jarvis View Post
    Matt & Jeff, as I stated in my post, Oneida did send me a new drum and lid. What are the odds that I got two leaky drums when none of their other customers are having the problem. I coated the first drum with Poly but I don't remember if I did the bottom. I will try that.
    My bad Craig, I thought I read just a lid. It would seem 2 bad drums unlikely, but still possible. I like Peter's response as it keeps the diagnosis on the simple path. I also second the shame on them comment as it seems very obvious to where the problem lies. We use a smoke machine at work to find air leaks all the time, it would be nice to put smoke around the drum when the DC is running to see what the reaction is, it may point out the problem in a heartbeat.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Just another thought , could you try some talcum powder or baby powder near the drum when the unit is running? You would think some airborne powder would show some air flow, either positive or negative.

This may not be what you want nor idea solution: I have a Clearvue system and everything I tried in the bag (to hold it down) would break/collaps like yours. It is possible that there is a tiny amount of leak from outside to get behind the bag like many have said. What I ended up doing was to make a cylinder out of 22 gage sheet metal (like the one that Grizzly sells); Just cut a piece of metal and rolled it to shape and secured the ends and put that in the bag instead of the plast gripper you have. Problem solved!
    It was one of the best $18 I have ever spent and very easy to take the bag out.
    Note that if you have a leak "inside" the bag then it will compromise the performance of your system as dust/shaving will end up going to the filters more than what is supposed to go.

Just to ask the question since I don't see it mentioned: You do have the clamp that locks the drum and lid together don't you?

Yes, I have the clamp. I am going to poly the bottom of the drum when I find some time, I have three projects going that I need to get finished plus my usual estimates to get done.

14. I had the same problem with my super Gorila 5 hp cyclone. I will attach some of the pictures how I solve the problem. I send this pictures even to Oneida and they say "Thank you very much " . It work for me.DSCF1499.jpgDSCF1488.jpgDSCF1489.jpgDSCF1490.jpgDSCF1496.jpgDSCF1618.jpgDSCF1598.jpgDSCF1599.jpg

15. DSCF1618.jpgDSCF1602.jpgDSCF1603.jpgDSCF1604.jpgDSCF1605.jpgDSCF1606.jpg I use a 1/8 x 1 metal stip from home depot and rivets to reinforce. I use only 2 strips one on top and one on the bottom. But I think to add one in the middle. Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alexandru Djamalutdinov; 09-19-2013 at 8:13 PM.