Thread: How do you stub out PEX?

How do you stub out PEX?

My father wants to use PEX instead of copper to re-plumb a laundry room. What is the proper way to stub out PEX? You can put a 90 degree bend in the PEX, but I see lots of opinions that PEX used as a stub is not sturdy enough.

I've seen special 90 degree copper bends with the crimped connection in the wall. Isn't it against code to put a crimped type connection in a wall? This would seem to be the way to go if it is legal.

In my plumbing business I use the copper stub out elbows. It is not against code to have a fitting connection in the wall.

Does a crimped fitting require an access panel when placed in a wall?

No, you can install all the joints you want. You should check them under pressure before they are covered.

I re-plumbed my town house with Uponor Pex and had really good luck with it. They have all the boxes, elbows and connections to make everything easy.

I got all my stuff from pexsupply.com

I am going to finish my basement in my new house and will use it again if I can figure out a safe way to transition from cpvc to pex.

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    ...if I can figure out a safe way to transition from cpvc to pex.
    Just glue a female adaptor on the cpvc and get a male threaded pex fitting. Thread the adaptors together with teflon tape and off you go.

We usually use shark bite connectors to transition from cpvc to pex. You have to be careful if you use a female adapter on cpvc. Use a female adapter with the rubber seal if you go that route, without the rubber the hot connection will be leaking in no time.