Thread: Material For Heat Press Templates?

Material For Heat Press Templates?

What material can I use that will withstand 400 degree heat over & over. Trying to build some custom templates for sublimation.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

That is a good question.... On page 17 of the 2013 Johnson Plastic Sublilmation Catalog they sell about 20 different fixtures and mention to get the Template at Unisub dot com. They look like metal?

On 28 May in the General thread, the same question was asked on EE and Oil Board, Fiber Board and Johnson Plastics fixtures were mentioned.

I print .2 bigger and use my fun tape machine. Some have use low tack spray too....

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 06-19-2013 at 9:19 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Tim

I use mdf and it seems to be ok. I am not a volume user so take it for what it's worth.

Like Al, I tape most of my work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I spray it all with dye trans or whatever that stuff is called. Haven't taped a job or used a fixture for a long time now. I'll tape my CLTT, but never dye sub.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Tim

I make all of my fixtures on the laser using 3mm baltic birch. I use some of them over and over with no problem. Actually the only problem is after 60 seconds in the press at 400 degrees it gets hot so i wave it in the air for a couple of seconds and i'm good to go.

Hope this helps
    Gary

I just received one made by Johnson Plastics. It's aluminum with a thin pad and 1/4 fiber board. Unfortunately their dog tag template doesn't fit Sublimation JDS dog tags. Also the Fiber board will not fit my press anyway. So, I had done just what Gary suggested (Great minds think alike). Seems to work well. We'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC