Thread: Tile and then texture or visa versa?

Tile and then texture or visa versa?

I am getting ready to tile a bathtub surround and texture the walls and ceilings of the bathroom.

Is there any really strong arguments about which to do first?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Like a spray or trowel on drywall texture? I would probably opt to texture after if it were me but I guess it depends on how your dealing with your transitions from texture to tile.

Mark....it's a sprayed on texture.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'd tile first, you can mask the tile to protect it from overspray.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mark....it's a sprayed on texture.
    Assuming your tiling over backer and dont want to tile over the compound you'd have to mask either way so I would opt to tile and then mask a nice clean edge at the tile if it were me. Many ways to skin a cat though..

I'd tile first but mostly because if you get texture on your tile it cleans off. If you get mortar on your textured walls it's a little more of an issue.

If you do the tiles yourself, will you feel like doing the walls after you work on the floor doing the tiles, will your knees be sore from the bending ?

Definitely tile first. The over spray from the texture hopper will wipe off the tile with a wet sponge or cloth. Paint comes off easily also. But tape off the tile just to not have to deal with cleaning fresh grout. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

it's a sprayed on texture.
    Make sure it's one that can go in high humidity area - such as over a tub/shower. A lot of the "popcorn" types you apply with a hopper gun can't go there & since they have nearly zip for adhesion, they can't be top coated with a paint to make them moisture resistant.
    Honestly - in a kitchen or bath, I'd never use that stuff. I'd go "old school" and roll on part compound/part paint & "stomp" it with a round texture brush.
    After it dried, I'd give it a top coat of Kilz2.
    I love Kilz 2 for ceilings. It's a soft white, high hiding (usually only needs one coat), is very forgiving about showing overlaps & has a soft sheen midway between a semi gloss and eggshell.

Speaking of "old school", I always work from the top down - ceilings first, then walls, then floors.

Having done a recent tile job on a tub surround, that's just what I did. Ceiling first, then tile.
    It was easy keeping thin set and grout off the ceiling. It just takes a little effort.
    In fairness though - I used 12x12 tile. Smaller tile, with more grouting, may have been a different story.

What little slop there was on the ceiling washed right off when I sponged down the tile.
    There may have been, at most, three small spots that I had to go back and touch up the ceiling.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

If the texture your talking about is the perlite texture I wouldn't do it in a damp ares as a bath. I use to spray it if people wanted but not in bathrooms. Holds moisture & looks bad after awhile....The stuff is garbage anyways.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-07-2013 at 11:06 AM.

I think the general consensus should be no matter what the order never take a smooth a wall and apply any kind of a texture to it no matter what the situation is. Same goes for paneling to. I am flipping a house right now that had absolutely pristine plaster in it untill the 70's hit and some worthless @&$/$! Put paneling up everywhere and now I am paying my drywall guy to fill in all of the damage. Thank god he didn't do a terrible popcorn texture anywhereor ai probably would have committed hari Kari.

@ keith,
    Boy do I hear you brother! Every time I look at a house to buy, if it has drop ceilings, fresh texture paint or paneling in rooms like bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, etc - I refuse to look any further. That's usually a dead giveaway that there's a problem someone is trying to hide.

Kudos to you for taking down the paneling & fixing the wall underneath. Most of the "flippers" in my area would just leave it & paint over it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon