Thread: Best CNC to cut guitars and violins?

Best CNC to cut guitars and violins?

Some of you guys have seen my violins I build with a smaller CNC I looking to move my STL work over to Aspire and a bigger CNC. right now it's the Shop bot or cam master but I don't have a lot of cash on hand right now. I don't want to build one so I am looking a turn key setup that would simple to use and quick to index arch tops body's. I have gigs of data ready to go. Also if your a CNC builder I would help with sales and 3D if needed for a discount.
    Last edited by Brandon MacDougall; 06-22-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Owner of Liquidviolins.

budget??? for new machine...
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

I was hoping around 7k?
    Owner of Liquidviolins.

Brandon, you can get a nicely equipped Camaster Stinger for $6500. There are several guitar builders on the Camheads forum that swear by them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I give them a call next week, any chance for a tool changer that would fit on a smaller foot print model? I think I only need a 3x6 table for most of the work.
    Owner of Liquidviolins.

I believe (not sure) that you can get a tool changer on the bigger Stinger machines but not for 7K. Give them a call, Jim Haga can answer your questions. I have the FTC option on mine that makes tool changes a snap. I haven’t timed it but I’m guessing you could change a cutter and be making chips again in less than a minute.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Give Carl Bruce a call.
    http://cncbuilder.net/

I know other builders that have used him and are happy with the results.

A tool changer is going to cost more than $7000 alone.

Don't think you'll find anything new with a tool changer for 7k. The stinger isn't going to fit the dimensions that you are looking for I don't believe. I think that they are only 3x3. I have a 2X2 and really want a 4X8 but I recently saw a Cammaster in person and that thing is a tank. It made me rethink my needs because it is so well made. You could stand on the thing and not hurt it. I saw the shopbot also. It appeared to be between what I have and the cammaster in my opinion. I think that you can get one of them 4' long but would be slightly over you budget new. If you really want that size I'd be looking used but be ready to pull the trigger because they don't last long. I'm following a thread about cncbuilder right now and looking at that possibility.

More than likely when I pull the trigger, I am going to go with the cammaster and look into their financing options to upgrade it to what I want.

IMHO, forget about the tool changer. If you do a two plate touch-off, tool changes take a minute, and in practice you will do very few tool changes. You'll rough with one, and you'll finish with another. If you have some holes to make, you'll maybe have one more tool change for a 1/4" straight bit, or something like that. As a practical matter, a tool changer is not all that relevant unless you're making large quantities, and then you should forget about little CNC routers and go straight for an older Haas, or something like that.

11. I have a Shop Bot Buddy with a 2 and 8 foot stick. I am very happy with the way it performs.. Shop Bot allows you to come to their factory and look at their products. contact T.J. christian tell him I sent you.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Thanks guys! not much talk about a Laguna cnc's anyone own one?
    Owner of Liquidviolins.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    IMHO, forget about the tool changer. If you do a two plate touch-off, tool changes take a minute, and in practice you will do very few tool changes. You'll rough with one, and you'll finish with another. If you have some holes to make, you'll maybe have one more tool change for a 1/4" straight bit, or something like that. As a practical matter, a tool changer is not all that relevant unless you're making large quantities, and then you should forget about little CNC routers and go straight for an older Haas, or something like that.
    Two plate tool changes are super sweet. QFT
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

CAMaster CNC machines

The Stinger I by CAMaster is a 2' x 3' $6495, the Stinger II is a 3' x 4' $10,995 and a 4' x 4' $12,495 according to CAMaster website. All machines come with computer, monitor, mouse, keyboard, Wincnc and Cut2D from Vectric.
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking