Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Made In America - Sold Out

Yeah, I'm 36...that picture is Harley Race. I've been trying to think of something better for an avatar, because Harley race could kick my butt no matter how old he is now.

I only use the avatar because I admire the true tough guy pro wrestlers from the territory days before wrestling got ruined by steroids and turned into a soap opera.

So that's why you look so familiar. I remember "Handsome" Harley Race wrestling Verne Gagne on All Star Wrestling. LOL

I didn't notice you're in MN. MN was big in the territory days from what I've seen.

We even have an Ole anderson on this board, a famous guy from up your way, but his name wasn't really ole anderson (last name was rogowski).

Anyway, that's why that's my avatar. Still contemplating what else to use.

Yeah we had Vern Gagne, Mad Dog Vachon and his brother, the Crusher, the Bruiser, Baron vo Rashke (the Claw Master), Haystack Clahoon, Andre the Giant, even our then future Governor himself, Jesse the Body Ventura. The good old days of wrestling every Sat night were great. By the way, keep Harley Race as your avatar, that's the way we know you now.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 06-28-2013 at 2:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Yeah we had Vern Gagne, Mad Dog Vachon and his brother, the Crusher, the Bruiser, Baron vo Rashke (the Claw Master), Haystack Clahoon, Andre the Giant, even our then future Governor himself, Jesse the Body Ventura. The good old days of wrestling every Sat night were great.
    And don't forget Whoopee John. Oh, wait......
    Regards,
    Dick

Geez, what a bunch of nervous nellies!

There is absolutely, positively no chance in h-e-doublehockeysticks of our running low on food in this country. The very idea is preposterous; we're killing ourselves with excess calories -- hello! the obesity epidemic, anyone?

We throw away or waste more food than most countries actually consume. If the Chinese, oh, sorry, the Red Chinese, want to pay top dollar in order to eat more pork, fine, let them get the heart attacks! (Maybe we can sell them Lipitor, which surely has a higher margin than pork on the hoof.)

And Jim is right, IMO: this is a political topic that under any other guise would have been quickly shut down. IMO.

What part of it is political? It appears to be a post about a business transaction. Definition of political:

1. Of, relating to, or dealing with the structure or affairs of government, politics, or the state.
    2. Relating to, involving, or characteristic of politics or politicians: "Calling a meeting is a political act in itself" (Daniel Goleman).
    3. Relating to or involving acts regarded as damaging to a government or state: political crimes.
    4. Interested or active in politics: I'm not a very political person.
    5. Having or influenced by partisan interests: The court should never become a political institution.
    6. Based on or motivated by partisan or self-serving objectives: a purely political decision.

Frank,

David is right, this is not a political discussion. We are talking about a commodity that is different in many ways from machines, clothes and such. Secondly I would be happy to see the Chinese purchase pork products from us as we could certainly use the help with the trade imbalance.

I don't think that allowing foreign companies to purchase our food providing businesses is in our best interest.
    Is it possible that once they have the processing facilities they would start purchasing farms next. Then what?

As farms are corporatized at the wishes of the FDA or USDA (which certainly makes examining record keeping and implementing new requirements easier), it's not out of the realm of possibility that the chinese would buy and operate farms here.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that a German company ran a large chicken operation adjacent to one of my grandparents houses. In that case, the operation did ruin their drinking water, but it would've regardless of who owned it as there were no laws back then limiting how they dumped the chicken litter on their land.

I doubt there's a whole lot preventing chinese ownership of farming operations other than lack of familiarity with US ag (western europe at the time was a lot more similar, and still is).

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Smithfield Foods To Be Sold To Chinese Firm For $4.72 Billion

The purchase values Smithfield Foods at $7.1 billion — a figure that would make the purchase "the largest Chinese takeover of a U.S. company," according to Bloomberg News.

In addition to Smithfield, the company's brands include Armour, Eckrich, Gwaltney, Kretschmar, and others. The company's roots stretch back to 1936, when the Luter family opened a packing plant in Virginia.

Is this what we get in return for patronizing American businesses that become so successful that they are sold to foreign interests?
    We will be passing by their products in the grocery store from now on
    pone more group of products I will boycott...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

Is this what we get in return for patronizing American businesses that become so successful that they are sold to foreign interests?
    We will be passing by their products in the grocery store from now on
    Thanks for the heads-up, Keith. That’s why we stopped buying Budweiser products when they sold out. BP is on the wrong list too!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up, Keith. That’s why we stopped buying Budweiser products when they sold out. BP is on the wrong list too!
    Presumably no imported beer at all then? Where do you buy your gas that is made strictly with American oil by American companies? Most gasoline sold at retail is not refined by or made from oil pumped by the company with the name on the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Presumably no imported beer at all then? Where do you buy your gas that is made strictly with American oil by American companies? Most gasoline sold at retail is not refined by or made from oil pumped by the company with the name on the sign.
    WELL THEN , who get the gasoline that are refine by your company ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I think the bitterness is when a company, that has been supported by us from the ground up, decides to sell out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I think the bitterness is when a company, that has been supported by us from the ground up, decides to sell out.
    If you had a business and decided to sell would you take a lower offer from an American company, or the higher bid from a foreign company? If it is a public company there is a responsibility to the shareholders to take the highest bid with the least risk.

We all want our retirement funds to grow and a lot of that money is invested in the stock market. Now, I'm really not in favor of selling to foreign companies, but the board of directors is responsible to do the best thing for the shareholders. In fact, the board would probably be sued if they refused to sell to the highest bidder simply because they are not an American company.