Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multico PM20 Hollow Chisel Mortiser help

Multico PM20 Hollow Chisel Mortiser help

Good afternoon Creekers!

I was recently looking at a Multico PM20 mortiser that looks to be in great shape. However, I had never heard of them before so a little internet sleuthing was in order. It seems this was considered a top of the line mortiser many years ago, but the company has perhaps gone out of business? I am looking for any information or input from current or past owners on this fine piece of woodworking machinery :-) Is there anything unusual about the machine? Will it take easy-to-find chisels and bits? Any problems with getting repair parts? Overall, how well does it do its job?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!!

Kent

Multico is a UK maker with a build quality of powermatic/ General/. so that is there range in the industry. There real fame was making tin can machines from welded plate like we see today back when everyone else was doing cast in batches production. I think they went out of business in the 80s? I have not use there kit but they look well made. My English machine mortiser is a little more substantial made by Stenner in England and I have a small collection in use of other English machines too.

you can get bits for them from Cilco

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/..._Machines.html

lots of experts on English kit over at CWW Vintage forum
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forumdisplay.php?53-Vintage-Power-Tools

jack
    English machines
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-27-2013 at 4:10 PM. Reason: deactivated link to other forum which volates the TOSs

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    Multico is a UK maker with a build quality of powermatic/ General/. so that is there range in the industry.
    I thought Multico Sarl was French. I know they purchased Inca, still manufacture Inca products, and I've spoken (via E-Mail) to the factory, and received product from them, and I could swear they were French.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I thought Multico Sarl was French. I know they purchased Inca, still manufacture Inca products, and I've spoken (via E-Mail) to the factory, and received product from them, and I could swear they were French.
    hi phil
    From what I found Multico Sarl is Import-exporter of machine tools
    not the same maker?

if the mortiser is this one like this or close its a UK maker,and i am unaware of any others makeing woodworking machines under that name. They/Multico started up around WW11 making light wight woodworking machines to order out of welded plate .They were one of the first company's in the UK to do this.

maybe the tag will prove it.

sorry i looked up the PM 20 and its the small bench top not near as good as this one.

http://morticers.com/index.php?optio...d=2&Itemid=156

jack
    English machines
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 06-25-2013 at 11:17 PM.

I own a PM20 and it is a great machine. As mentioned, bits are available through standard sources. The machine has two collets, one for smaller bits and one for larger. I bought my mortiser used and it was missing a collet.....had to order from France (where Multico is now located).....most all parts are available. Their email is multico@gmail.com. bob

Hi Kent,

I have a larger Multico. The machines are very heavy duty and well built. However, I have trouble with bits and chisels burning. The motor, which is really strong, turns at like 3600 rpm. Resulting in the chisels and bits burning. I would be interested to know if the others that own this machine have this problem. I have often though it would be good to get a 1700 rpm motor in order to slow it down.

Is the machine well made, Yes
    Would I purchase the machine again, No

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    hi phil
    From what I found Multico Sarl is Import-exporter of machine tools
    not the same maker?
    I think it is the same outfit.

Here, check this thread:
    ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/multico-morticer-cotter-bolt-t53100.html

A user posts that he needs parts for an old Multico machine, and is referred to Multico Sarl (in France).

At one time they were obviously made in England, I just think they merged or got bought out.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-27-2013 at 4:12 PM. Reason: deactivated link to other forum which violates the TOSs

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think it is the same outfit.

Here, check this thread:

A user posts that he needs parts for an old Multico machine, and is referred to Multico Sarl (in France).

At one time they were obviously made in England, I just think they merged or got bought out.
    more than likely they just own the rights and its made off shore.

jack
    English machines
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-27-2013 at 4:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Hi Kent,

I have a larger Multico. The machines are very heavy duty and well built. However, I have trouble with bits and chisels burning. The motor, which is really strong, turns at like 3600 rpm. Resulting in the chisels and bits burning. I would be interested to know if the others that own this machine have this problem. I have often though it would be good to get a 1700 rpm motor in order to slow it down.

Is the machine well made, Yes
    Would I purchase the machine again, No

Sam
    Hi Sam

Hollow chisel mortisers run 3450 Rpm unless your in England and its 2850 rpm because the on a 50hzs electrical grid and 2 poll motors run slower over there than here. That being side even line belt machines witch could have had the speed slowed down run at about 2200 to 2600rpm. So you see your speed is good at 3450 rpm. 1700 would be way to slow to get the chips out. tooling is designed to run at 3450 rpm and has for more then 80 years its does not burn when sharp and set.

Chisels burn for two reasons . One the argor bit is set to high in the chisel point and rubs on the chisel end and blue the chisel . generally there is to be a gap of about 1/16 as a general rule( i tend to set them closer but i sharpen in house with reamers of the correct angle ). the other is someone did not know how to sharpen them and there are a few different types out there,
    the flat bottom double spear not center point and the cheaper center point spur single flute we see on the market to day. most of the English Kit is of the flat bottom variety so the comon LV diamond hone is the incorrect interface angle and spoil the bit sets.

here is my Stenner mortiser set with the flat bottom 1" bits set and when set properly that do not burn. so its was not your machine in your case IMO.

jack
    English machines

Jack's right--burning comes from either a dull chisel/bit set or lack clearance. My Greenlee turns at 3450 rpm and doesn't burn wood. It will burn chips that get snagged inside the chisel, though. Sycamore in particular seems to snag up in the top of my chisels.

Kirk

Jack,

Thanks for the information. I am glad it is not the machine. That machine has been a big disappointment for me. It is made well, and the quality is very good. I just always figured the motor ran to fast and burnt the bits. I am going to research the proper sharpening and set up, and give it another try. Thanks for the video. That is a great looking mortise you have. Your shop looks outstanding as well. A great collection of machinery.

Kirk,

Thanks for the info. My chisel/bits are no doubt dull. They are not burning the wood, just the chisels and bits.

There has long been a debate between 1750 and 3500 rpm ( or close ) motors on mortisers. The faster speed is particularly a problem with small machines and too small motors. The faster speed needs you to get in and out quickly and the 1/2 hp motors can't do that. My old Fay and Egan runs at 3600 with a foot pedal, never burns on the way in but does on the way out as it is hard to get the chisel back out fast enough. I run it at 50 hz as the sweet spot. The Multico with a good chisel should allow you to be pretty quick and eliminate a fair amount of the burning. Dave

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    I am going to research the proper sharpening and set up, and give it another try. Thanks for the video.
    Sam will this help you get started? here is some information on how to sharpen UK style tooling. with a source for reamers. there are two types/angles so match them to the tooling you get.

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/acatalog/Clico_Hollow_Square_Mortice_Chisel_Sharpening_Tool s.html

the older reamers are not made anymore with the lower angle that i know of like mine which are made by wadkin .

jack
    English machines
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 06-27-2013 at 4:09 PM.

Folks,

A little friendly reminder per the TOSs:

Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Folks,

A little friendly reminder per the TOSs:

Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

Ken
    Edit found my answer thanks.
    So what your saying is iI can make reference to other or personal forums with web address information as long as its not linked and relevant to the tread/topic? And this does not include you tube? and we are not to promote product/mendicant we have experience with? I see you have not edited that in my post. I have no monetary connection to any business myself FWIW.

jack
    English machines
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 06-27-2013 at 5:59 PM. Reason: found the answer my self. An't it all way about the money